Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with engine light

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 07:26 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with engine light - P0300 Code

Hi

Just changed the 2 front O2 sensors and fuel filter and the car was running great. Drivng home and after about 1/2 hour a yellow outline of an engine appears on the dash. I assume it is the check engine light. The light was solid for a while and then flashed for a while and then whent solid again.

For a short while the engine started to idle a little rough, but then recovered. It seems to be running fine, but has the engine light on. What to do next? Do I need to read the codes from the OBD11 port? Any guidance is apprecited.

Thanks JAp03

Last edited by JGA; 05-04-2006 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

It sounds like you were misfiring for a little, you should get the codes checked for sure. I think you can take it to an Auto Zone and they will read the codes for free. Make sure the sensors didn't back out of the exhaust, also check to make sure that the wiring is still OK and not running too close to hot engine parts. Definitely get the codes checked though.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:24 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YEV33
It sounds like you were misfiring for a little, you should get the codes checked for sure. I think you can take it to an Auto Zone and they will read the codes for free. Make sure the sensors didn't back out of the exhaust, also check to make sure that the wiring is still OK and not running too close to hot engine parts. Definitely get the codes checked though.

Hi

I have a hypertech so I will try and read them. I also changed the fuel filter. That could also cause a bit of a sputter. I checked the O2 wires and they appear OK.

Thanks
JA

Last edited by JGA; 05-04-2006 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:53 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Hi

P0300 - Engine misfire detected. Does not tell me that much. Should I clear the code and drive it? I assume if I have a problem the code will come back.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks JA
Old 05-04-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might do a plug change, if it was running rich, you could've fouled a plug or several.
Also check the wires,
Old 05-04-2006, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

If the misfire code is the only code you have and the car is running fine right now I would erase it and drive it, see if the light or the code comes back. It's almost impossible to diagnose a misfire that isn't currently happening, sure you can look at the plugs, but chances are they already cleaned up if the misfire was ignition related. Seeing that you just did a fuel filter, I would be leaning towards a fuel related misfire. But again see if the code comes back or the check engine light comes back. You could be chasing a problem that might never repeat itself.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:24 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YEV33
If the misfire code is the only code you have and the car is running fine right now I would erase it and drive it, see if the light or the code comes back. It's almost impossible to diagnose a misfire that isn't currently happening, sure you can look at the plugs, but chances are they already cleaned up if the misfire was ignition related. Seeing that you just did a fuel filter, I would be leaning towards a fuel related misfire. But again see if the code comes back or the check engine light comes back. You could be chasing a problem that might never repeat itself.
Hi
I cleared the code and whent for a long drive. The car is running friggn excellent. The new O2s made a huge difference. I think it is fine now. I will drive it and see.

Interestingly enough, I notice it has always idled a little low. One day I will get HP Tuners and bump it up 50 rpm. For now I think I will try some redline fuel treatment. Also, when I get the courage up (last time it took me 5 hrs), I will pull the plugs to see if they are wet.

Thanks for the advice. JA