Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True dual hanger question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 09:34 PM
What's a Sticky?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default True dual hanger question...

The set of true duals that I bought have the hangers after the muffler that looks like these:

Only they are not stiff like they appear in the picture, they are a little flexible. I am installing my longtubes/true duals this Saturday and I am kinda concerned about these hangers. I know they will hang fine, but I am wondering if when I hit a bump they are flexible enough to allow the exhaust to come up and hit the floor pan. If anyone has these types of hangers let me know if you have any problems and pics would be GREAT. Thanks guys.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:15 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you say hit a bump, do you mean "the road hits the pipes" or just going over a bump in general?

Those hangers look like they would allow the duals to hit the car body if they should hit something, but it would not be a big deal, mine hit all the time.

Just a suggestion, go to the hardware store and get the biggest bolts that will fit through those holes, and get some FENDER WASHERS. Fender washers are oversized, with a small hole. This gives them a larger surface area. Put one on the inside and one on the outside to help prevent the bolt pulling through the hanger/floorpan.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:05 PM
What's a Sticky?

No, I am just talking about hitting a bump, not the actual pipe hitting. In regards to the pipe hitting, I think that may be a positive side to these hangers because since they can move it will be hard to break the hangers off, as opposed to welded on metal hangers.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:14 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you hit a bump, dynamically, the car would be forced up and away from the exhaust. The shocks would prevent the car from falling faster than the exhaust would ,which is hanging from it, so the exhaust would be out of the way before the body went back down.

It shouldn't be a problem.

The only problem I can see is that system itself. The tq-arm is going to have a helluva time getting by that x-pipe without hitting it, or without having the exhaust mounted way too low. Another member picked one up a while back and was complaining about the welds too.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:24 PM
What's a Sticky?

Well thats not really my exact system, Im just using that picture to show what my hangers look like