Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

McLeod adjustable lifespan?

Old 05-05-2006, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default McLeod adjustable lifespan?

I have the McLeod adjustable master, and it lasted about 10K miles before not being able to hold pressure. I just rebuilt it with their "kit" (one piston seal, one o-ring, $40 to the door - they sure are proud of it!) and it has lasted about 1000 miles.
I am going to send it to the maker, cnc in San Diego, for their rebuild. But damn, this is a bear for me to remove, (95 Impala) bleed, and what not.
So who else has had incredibly short life spans on these things? For $300, I guess I was expecting more.
In the FWIW dept, being a custom installation and all, bleeding was a true pita, it took two days to get it right. Then I bought a pressurized bleeder ball, holds four quarts of fluid, and it took a couple minutes once it was all hooked up. You could make a very inexpensive bleeder like this however for $20 using a garden sprayer from home depot.
The mity vac IS NOT A GOOD answer. One look at the way the McLeod is made, and you can see how the seal is not designed for vacuum. I have read where people have used the mity vac for a a while and still got air. That is because the seal on the piston of the master will let air in easy in a vacuum situation.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mines been in there for about 4 years with no issues.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:16 PM

Ive had mine in for 2+ years and it works great.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I rebuilt mine with their kit after 3000 miles, and have another 15K on it now, no issues. First time was because I was getting fluid in the driver compartment, busted seal.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Here is a pic of the two pistons.
On the left, two years, and maybe 10K miles.
On the right, 2 weeks, and maybe 500 miles. I think the port is diggin into the pistons, you can see on the new one at the 11 oclock position how milled out the piston seal got.
I dont think anything I did putting it together could have done this, but who knows?
Really dissapointed though...
Attached Thumbnails McLeod adjustable lifespan?-mcleod-pistons.jpg  

Search this Thread