Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

MAF & Vortech

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default MAF & Vortech

Vortech supplies a flexible hose that connects the stock filter to the MAF.
I find out that the reading of the MAF is pretty sensitive to its angle in relation to the filter: this is messing with my fuel tuning!
Especially at high air flow.

I assume that the flexible hose (which has a metal reinforcement) is making some whirl or disturb the air flow somehow and that this causes a wrong air mass reading.

Is that possible? My MAF is stock and has the original screen.
Are you Vortech guys having similar experiences? Are you all using the hose supplied by Vortech or something different?

Thanks - Stefano

Old 05-05-2006, 05:26 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Used it and had no real issues, I also used the Thunder racing MAF ends with the stock sensor etc I have a lid that eliminates that I just never used it so I can't tell you if it made any difference with my AF or not.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:38 PM
10 Second Club

Take it off and speed density tune. I know you will see a big hp jump due to the inlet side of the blower restricted by a 75mm MAF.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2001WS6Vert
Take it off and speed density tune. I know you will see a big hp jump due to the inlet side of the blower restricted by a 75mm MAF.
No.
This is a daily drive and I do want to keep the MAF.
Otherwise I need a 2 bar MAP, another software and maybe another PCM 'cause this is a 98...
I only want to know if this kind of wavy hose can disturb the MAF reading.
I can fabricate a smooth silicone or polyurethane hose with all the necessary curves but it will cost me a couple of hours and right now I want to drive around instead of sit in the workshop...
Old 05-06-2006, 05:57 AM
10 Second Club

I'd just like to see a Vortech guy try it. I'll bet there is 50 rwhp to be gained. I picked up 2 lbs. boost going from suction to pressure side. I still have the MAF but am seriously thinking of SD. The damn car has been running pretty good lately though and I have just been enjoying it. We all know how the mod addiction has to be fed.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Tici..

What is your Ltrims doing? Have you changed anything recently to make your Fuel curves messed up..

Your Screened Maf strightens out that air pretty good. I have heard that having the surge valve venting back to the inlet before the blower like the stock Vortech systems, like I see in your Pic there, it causes air turbulance which the maf will pick up.. Ever thought about putting your maf on the blown side? Just before the TB?

Clint
Old 05-06-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only thing I changes was to rotate the MAF by 90 degrees. In this way I can better reach the connector.

I was thinking at a blow through MAF but I should modify the system and fabricate new parts... I'm too lazy for that now!
Old 05-06-2006, 08:53 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tici
No.
This is a daily drive and I do want to keep the MAF.
Otherwise I need a 2 bar MAP, another software and maybe another PCM 'cause this is a 98...
I only want to know if this kind of wavy hose can disturb the MAF reading.
I can fabricate a smooth silicone or polyurethane hose with all the necessary curves but it will cost me a couple of hours and right now I want to drive around instead of sit in the workshop...
HP tuners has a 2bar for the 98 just to let you know Tici.
Jeff
Old 05-06-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

rotating the maf can make a diff, rotate it back and see if your problem goes away.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its awesome being in SD. My bypass is like a blow off valve. Sounds sick when you let off coming out of boost Hell even idleing its like a blow dryer
Old 05-07-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

The angle of the MAF seems to be important: according to the Vortech instructions the connector has to look down: in this way the LTFT's are back to normal values!

I previously turned the MAF so that the connector was towards the front of the car and somehow in this position it can't read the air quantity correctly.

Thank you guys for your suggestions! But I'll keep the MAF, and it will stay in front of the blower. This year I want to drive this car as much as possible and not work on it most of the time as I did last year

It's not the superlative car: from idle to 2500 rpm it's like stock, above 3000 rpm... you know how is it! I just need that additional 100 hp from time to time to have some fun
Fuel consumption is not too bad too (24 mpg half city - half highway).
Old 05-07-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ahh... Yes the Maf angled differently will change things.

Clint
Old 05-08-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think it's because the MAF is after a curve. If it was after a straight pipe it wouldn't make a difference.

For industrial flowmeters you usually need 3x - 5x the diameter of the pipe in front of the sensor to calm down the flow. our MAF is about 90 mm this means 270 - 450 mm!

Quick Reply: MAF & Vortech