LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

adjusting valves on new motor?

Old 05-06-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjusting valves on new motor?

Hi all,
Almost ready to fire up my motor (sunday)
and just checking do you adjust lash and preload on new motor that has no oil in it?
Thanks.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:58 AM
Launching!

Did you soak the lifters in oil before you put them in? Anyhow I normally adjust valves 2 ways. One way takes alot longer than the other, this way would be using a compression guage. Adjust each valve untill you get the max compression on each. The other is by feel. Tighten the rocker untill its a lil tough to turn the pushrod. You want the pushrod to turn but still want it to be snug. Knowing when one is ready to be adjusted is most peoples problem. When 1 of the 2 valves on the cylnder is all the way open, pushrod up as far as it will push, the other valve is ready. If one is all the way open this means the other has to be closed. Hope that helps.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Here is a guide on how to do it. When I adjusted mine today, I used method 1 to get them close, then used the engine running method to set them permanently. Runs like a champ.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:03 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks, I used that site alot.
I started it up today and it runs sweet valves are quite, my builder did a great job.

Search this Thread