General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Any tips on getting front wheel hub off?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any tips on getting front wheel hub off?

I had to cut 1 stud to remove the wheel thanks to a crossthreaded lugnut that stripped out and another stud was all buggered up. I think the bearing is bad as well so I removed the 4 bolts holding the hub on and it still won't budge. I heated up the steering knuckle and sprayed it with PB Blaster and I see minimal movement when hitting it with a hammer. How do you get the hub off if it's stuck in place like this?
Old 05-07-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

Did you remove the calipers?
Old 05-07-2006, 01:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

you will have to soak it with some penatrating fluid and be patient.it will come out
Old 05-07-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Regular

take the rotor and caliper off, remove the 4 bolts, take the electrical connector loose and should come off with a hammer smack on the hub
Old 05-07-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by REDWS6ROCKET
take the rotor and caliper off, remove the 4 bolts, take the electrical connector loose and should come off with a hammer smack on the hub
Ha! That's wishful thinking. The brake caliper is off, the rotor is off, the electrical connector is disconnected, the 4 bolts are out, I've soaked it with PB Blaster and it doesn't move! I can hit it with a hammer and get no movement at all. I was heating the steering arm to see if that would help it break loose as well. No luck with that. I can see the PB Blaster is getting sucked into the gap between the hub and the steering arm so I thought it would break loose but no luck so far.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:26 PM
Teching In

ask your friends if they have a hub bearing puller. if not try a parts store that rents tools like checker. or if you have the coin, you can track down your local mac, snap-on ect.. dealer and get one.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could take the spindle off and then push out the hub with a hydrallic bench press and table.

I have used one with 1.5 ton cap that does the job perfectly, also pushes in poly a-arm bushings great.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As my brother said when he pulled my hub for me:

"Oh here's the problem, we just weren't hitting it hard enough, or enough times."
We didn't keep those hubs though.

Seriously they will come off after a while doing what everyone said or if you must, escalate to a better tool.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yup, just needed a bigger hammer and more time for the penetrating oil to loosen it up. Sometimes the best thing is to walk away from it for a while. Now if I could only find the time to do a drive in the car! Too much yard work, truck work, exercise(biking), fishing and golfing going in with this nice weather.