Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval 275/40/17 Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval 275/40/17 Review

I originally was going to get some Goodyear GS-D3's, but due to some events out of my control, I had to get some other tires.

I just had my new tires installed last week, Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval's in 275/40/17. I have an actual Firestone retailer in my town, so I checked out their prices. Originally, they retailed for $202 a peice. The sales rep I talked to said they would price match any reputable competitor. So I asked if they would price match TireRack. He said even though TireRack isn't their competition, they would price match them. So I told him that TireRack is currently selling them for $147 a peice. So he price matched them to $150 a peice. Awesome! He didn't even ask for a print-out of their price. So I picked up four new tires.

I didn't have them installed at Firestone, had my mechanic do that. I didn't want to risk my car getting a joyride from some high school drop-out. The tread looks aggressive and is directional.

Man, these tires grip! As soon as I left my mechanic, I could deffinitly feel the difference on how wide these tires really are. It deffinitly took city turns a lot flatter. Acceleration from a stop is great, they deffinitly gripped with no tire spin. Then again, 2.73 rear gears aren't exactly tire roasters, lol.

The tires do follow bumps on the highway a little more then the 245's, but that's expected. On the highway at cruising speed, they ride great. Low noise except for on concrete portions of the highway when driving at 75mph. They are loud then. But on paved portions, the noise is low.

They take pot holes and bumps pretty good, but you still have to be careful with low profile tires.

Overall, I think these tires are great. I would highly suggest them for people on a budget. And do ask if your local Firestone place price matches.

Last edited by Chaotic Firebird; 05-07-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the review....needing new tires shortly.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

good info
Old 05-07-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

about to buy a 4 of these for the SS I just picked up. The tires are cracking and I had no idea why, decided to check the pressure and they were at 48 lbs. Couldn't believe that. I'll try at a firestone dealership tomarrow. How did you talk them into it?
Old 05-07-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

Actually, the sales rep said they would price match, so I just mentioned TireRack.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Resident

I've had them for about a year. I've been very satisfied. Handling, wear, road noise, wet/dry traction are all great. Unless the BFG g-force IIs or GS-D3's are available in the appropriate sizes and at anywhere near $600, I'll definately be buying another set when the time comes. I just won't let the idiots at Allied touch my car again.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Teching In

I can endorse this recommendation. I was replacing some Goodyear GSD3s which rode a lot harder, were noiser, handled no better and cost about 25% more. Same experience with my local Firestone store. Showed them a Tire Rack print out and they matched without hesitation.

Grip in dry and wet is excellent for both acceleration and turns. Really hard to break loose unless you get into "marbles".

For the handling and ride, I don't think you can find better performing street tires for the price and they are quite near the top at any price for street tires.

As of now they are my recommendation for high performance, summer street tires for F-bodies!

Quick Reply: Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval 275/40/17 Review