Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unhappy Hooker !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Unhappy Hooker !!

Sorry to disappoint some of you, this is about headers only!!
I was driving home last night from the grocery store when I hear a metal ping underneath the car and then a big exhaust leak....I was thinking WTF. I pulled the car into our local Sam's Club, pop the hood and what do I find, you might ask.
A nickel size hole in the top of the first header pipe about an inch away from the head on the drivers side (next to the temp sensor). Unreal!! Needless to say I'm a little ticked off about it.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Yep...I had the same thing happen to me, I removed my AIR and like a week later i kept hearing an exhaust leak getting worse and worse from under the hood. When I found what it was it was to late, the crack was to large to fix......so I broke off the little tube, sanded the ceramic coating off and welded a little square piece of 18 gauge sheet metal over the hole, then I covered it in silicone for good measure and finally wraped that portion of the header with heat wrap.....problem solved. I would have bought new headers, but i just didnt have the money to be doing that. The fix that i did has lasted about 7 months and I have not had any problems yet!
Old 05-07-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Junkie

I think that you have the worst luck, and wierdest problems. hope ya get it fixed. thats the problem with modding we just keep dumping more money into them. I might be heading up to the Fort this summer. people still hanging out at Halls.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
I think that you have the worst luck, and wierdest problems. hope ya get it fixed. thats the problem with modding we just keep dumping more money into them. I might be heading up to the Fort this summer. people still hanging out at Halls.

Yeah, I was actually planning on being up there until this happened......If it were'nt for bad luck I would have no luck at all.... I think it is safe to say that after this.....Nitrous will never be installed on this car, ever!!!
Old 05-07-2006, 05:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bandit2150
Yep...I had the same thing happen to me, I removed my AIR and like a week later i kept hearing an exhaust leak getting worse and worse from under the hood. When I found what it was it was to late, the crack was to large to fix......so I broke off the little tube, sanded the ceramic coating off and welded a little square piece of 18 gauge sheet metal over the hole, then I covered it in silicone for good measure and finally wraped that portion of the header with heat wrap.....problem solved. I would have bought new headers, but i just didnt have the money to be doing that. The fix that i did has lasted about 7 months and I have not had any problems yet!

Well, I really dont have the money for new headers either but I'm not dealing with this block off crap anymore....so to eliminate the possibilty of it happening again I ordered the Kook's race headers(non EGR/AIR).
Old 05-07-2006, 07:19 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Old 05-12-2006, 05:25 PM
11 Second Club

Definately lost an AIR tube off the drivers side header.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:19 PM
10 Second Club

Same **** happened to me. Hooker longtubes also. I ended welding both sides up. Wish I had gotten them without the air tubes.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:23 PM
10 Second Club

Happened to me also, called hooker and they said too bad so sad.... So when it came time to buy a 90 TB I knew not to go with them. Pretty much lost my buisness for life unless they come out with a bolt on part that adds like 1000hps... Never say never I guess....

I had to wrap a top off of a dole fruit can lid around it with hose clamps till I could get it welded got me home without burning a valve anyway. Just waiting for the other side to pop now.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SS1875
Well, I really dont have the money for new headers either but I'm not dealing with this block off crap anymore....so to eliminate the possibilty of it happening again I ordered the Kook's race headers(non EGR/AIR).
That sucks to here. You wont be disapointed with the kook's.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by conan
That sucks to here. You wont be disapointed with the kook's.

??? on your Kook's, did you have to cut the Y-pipe to fit the catback?? A friend of mine said I would have to cut some of the length of to make it fit.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedo
Happened to me also, called hooker and they said too bad so sad.... So when it came time to buy a 90 TB I knew not to go with them. Pretty much lost my buisness for life unless they come out with a bolt on part that adds like 1000hps... Never say never I guess....

I had to wrap a top off of a dole fruit can lid around it with hose clamps till I could get it welded got me home without burning a valve anyway. Just waiting for the other side to pop now.

I wont waste the phone call but I did email them without a response so far. No big suprise there!!
Old 05-12-2006, 11:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jay_99z
Same **** happened to me. Hooker longtubes also. I ended welding both sides up. Wish I had gotten them without the air tubes.
Did you have any issue's after welding them ??... as far as metal fatigue further down from the welded area. I would like to fix them and try and sell them to recoup some cash .
Old 05-13-2006, 02:05 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pacesetters FTW!

I don't think that thing blew off because you had it blocked off. The AIR system has 1-way check valves that would act almost like it was blocked.

I did not have to cut the y-pipe on my friends car when I installed his Kooks headers/catted y. They slipped into the GMMG lllllllllllllllllllllllllllike-a-gloveeeeeee.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:30 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Pacesetters FTW!

I don't think that thing blew off because you had it blocked off. The AIR system has 1-way check valves that would act almost like it was blocked.

I did not have to cut the y-pipe on my friends car when I installed his Kooks headers/catted y. They slipped into the GMMG lllllllllllllllllllllllllllike-a-gloveeeeeee.

I think the weld gave out for some reason...not sure why. A friend just put some Pacesetters in 2 weeks ago and loves them!!
Thanks for the info...hopefully it goes as easy for me since the car is on jack stands....gets annoying when you have to keep sliding underneath the car.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

??? on your Kook's, did you have to cut the Y-pipe to fit the catback?? A friend of mine said I would have to cut some of the length of to make it fit.
I did the LT's ory and hooker CB at the same time. I didnt cut the Y pipe but I did have to trim the I pipe to get the CB into place. I had my rear end out to paint so I got every thing in place tacked the y pipe and the CB removed the hole thing and welded it all up on the floor.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by conan
I did the LT's ory and hooker CB at the same time. I didnt cut the Y pipe but I did have to trim the I pipe to get the CB into place. I had my rear end out to paint so I got every thing in place tacked the y pipe and the CB removed the hole thing and welded it all up on the floor.

Thanks, I meant to say the I-pipe(where it fits into the catback) not Y-portion of the pipe. How much did you trim off?? What did you cut it with??
Old 05-13-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

Hooker Headers....." Made In Mexico " Aren't They ????
Old 05-13-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have my pacesetters blocked off, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens to me too. I just don't drive mine enough. Thank god.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks, I meant to say the I-pipe(where it fits into the catback) not Y-portion of the pipe. How much did you trim off?? What did you cut it with??
I think I took out about 1'' I have a portercable chop saw with a 14" carbide tiped blade. You can use a hacksaw or a cutoff wheel if you have to cut.