General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

My car Died Today

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 08:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My car Died Today

Well I had got on my car a little a bit today in 2nd then hit 3 really easy and was only in 3rd for about 3 seconds then I had to shut it down because there was a stop sign. Well I had to hit the brakes kind of hard but not real hard and when I get to the stop sign the thing is just kind of lugging and surging and barely running at about 3-400 RPM's, i try and give it a little gas to see if it comes out of it and it just surges a little more then dies and when i try to start it...nothing. It just spun over. So i turned the key off and let it sit for a few seconds and tried it again and it started. It ran kind of rough and I held about to about 1500-200k for a little while then pulled into a parking lot and got out and by then it was running fine and idling like normal. So does anyone know whats wrong or what happened.

And I also have a couple other wierd problems..dont know if they are all related or not but I cant get my A/c compressor to kick in and my cooling fan seems to kick in a lot but i never runs hot? Anyone know whats wrong.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

mine does that every so often... I dunno what causes it but it scares the **** out of me everytme.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try checking your battery connections, they sometimes get loose, and cause some wierd problems
You might also want to check the post on the battery if it's the stock delco, they have a nasty habit of coming loose inside the battery case
Old 05-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Launching!

Alright everything seems tight. Could a dirty MAF sensor so this?

And also this may be something totally different but back to my coolings fans. They want to run on startup and all the time. I can start my car up cold and the fans kick in on high, could it be the relay or coolant temp sensor or what?
Old 05-08-2006, 12:28 AM
12 Second Club

02's maybe?
Old 05-08-2006, 12:33 AM
Launching!

02s will cause it to die like that?
Old 05-08-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

Mine does this and I can even reproduce the problem. It seems to be a weird issue with the pcm. Sometimes when you get on it real hard and then suddenly have to hit the brakes semi hard it will cause the pcm do some weird ****. I don't know if its a sensor or what that it trips. Just turn the key off for a minute fire it back up and let it idle a little while and it will be fine. You might want to reset the pcm after this to. I have heard that there is a bug somewhere in the pcm that causes sort of a pcm reset while the car is running. Im not to sure about that though but it is possible. Just reset the pcm and don't do that anymore you will be fine.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Really?...thats crazy, are there many other people it happens to or just a select few? Do you think that having the pcm programmed with ls1 edit or something it would take it out of it or just a thing you have to deal with?
Old 05-09-2006, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

crankshaft sensor???
Old 05-09-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

i bought a 981le out of florida last week and on the drive home mine did that. it scared the **** outta me. i pulled in a parking lot and then went through the basics, air, fuel, spark. took my airbox off and there was a huge *** piece of scotch tape on my maf screen, dont ask how, i dont know but after that it was nothing. now this weeks every now and then the throttle bogs, so i check the maf again. i took it apart and there was road grime all over those little sensor wires. i got a qtip and gently cleaned them off and put it all back together and for the past 100 miles it hasnt done it again. sorry for the long story just saying probably something small, just start at the intake, then check plugs, fuel, etc.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

Not much you can really do about it. I should only do it if the low trac light comes on when you are going wot. Im not sure if it is a safety measure or what but mine will do it everytime I am beating on it and then slam on the breaks really hard to cause the traction to be lost. You can unplug the traction sensor and you will be fine. That is the only solution I found.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:18 PM
Teching In

well if your fans are kicking in at low temps it is most likely a faulty coolant temp sensor i had the same problem