PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard starting

Old 05-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard starting

For the last several months I have noticed an intermittent condition that is not really causing a problem but does not seem right either. Every so often when I turn the key to start my car, after a couple of seconds it has not fired. If you keep grinding, it may never start but if it does not start within a second or so, if you quicklly turn the key off and then on and then to start it invariably fires off almost immediately.

I have essentially a stock 02 Camaro Z-28 with only bolt ons, like lid, y pipe and B&B catback.

I have an HP Tuner but haver really not changed much yet except idle (raised to 850) and lower fan temps. But the problem started before I got the tuner.

Anybody know what could cause this situation?

Thanks, Bob
Old 05-08-2006, 03:47 AM
Teching In

What is fuel pressure doing?
Old 05-08-2006, 07:48 AM
Teching In

I don't know. I can't find that variable in HP Tuners and I don't have the stuff to do the old fashion way (with a gauge <g>). Besides it only does it maybe 1 out of 10 times so I am not set up to monitor every start, especially as I can just turn the key off and it restarts every time the second time.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Try checking the IAC to.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

On a virtually stock car like that, it's not in the tune. I'd start with the fuel filter and spark plugs. It may be time for them to be replaced. Also, if you can get a hold of a fuel guage, check and see what you fuel pressure looks like. Not that it's likely, but the fuel pumps on these cars aren't the greatest....especially if you run the tank down to 'E' a lot as this tends to increase pump operating temps. Just my $0.02.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Good points all.

Fuel filter changed within the last year and ditto spark plugs and wires.

I usually fill up at 1/4 tank just because of what you mention.

Unfortunately, I don't have a fuel pressure gauge set up so I will have to go to a shop for that.

Everyone seems to think it is more likely a fuel problem though rather than spark (I have run the cylinder balance and they are all equal at about 95%).

Once it starts it runs fine. Seems to hold all the O2s in range, fuel air in spec, etc.

Search this Thread