Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Why is it when im nice to my trans, it treats me like crap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why is it when im nice to my trans, it treats me like crap?

Semms when i bang second, or really granny it by pausing a half second between first and second itll shift no problem. But a smooth "normal" speed shift straight to second will sometimes sound liek a shaved every tooth off second gear? Not too familiar with what problems occur from what wearing, but is this a synchro problem or what? I had one instance whenre i tried shifting second very hard and it ground, but that may have been me screwing something up as it only happened the one time. Main problem seems to be when im shifting in a way youd think would be easy in the trans?
Old 05-08-2006, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man i have the same problem, i bought my car with 21k miles and the first winter i drove it, it did it, over the summer when it got warmer it didnt do it as much, rarely did it at all. now its got 45k miles and was doin it last winter and now its warmer its not doin it as much, again rarely does it at all. also when i race and power shift the **** out of it, its fine, it bangs second perfect. same thing with granny shiftin and pausing before throwin it in 2nd. i have no clue why it does this, all im sayin is mine does it too, and with the low mileage on it, it cant be a worn synchro or anything. ??? just my 2 cents
Old 05-08-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mileage has nothing to do with it... it all comes down to HOW it was driven. It only takes one f-ed shift to damage a syncro or blocker ring. After that, the damage is cumulative. Each time it grinds, it makes it worse and worse.

I have a 2nd gear grind, running synthetic and ensuring its warm before I beat on it keeps the grinds away for the most part, but at the track doing 5500+ rpm shifting still showed a bit of a grind.