New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a good idea? Or should someone slap me upside the head!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good idea? Or should someone slap me upside the head!

Hey everyone! I bought a 96 SS with 90,000 miles on her a few months ago. It's an automatic. I LOVE driving manuals though. All the cars i've owned have been manuals. I think i bought the car just because it was an "SS" and didn't really think with my mind, rather i thought with my first impression I have been entertaining the thought of selling her and buying a 97 LT1 Trans Am, with the 6 speed. I can get a really nice T/A with almost half the miles i have on the SS for a good price. I want an LS1, but being 19, i can't afford the insurancw and car payments. Good idea? Nay or Yay? I know i have a rare car, but it's not really what i want and i feel i'm not getting my gas/insurance money's worth! Thanks guys. I can always count on this forum!
Old 05-08-2006, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

put a stall on it, that will probably change your mind, as it will probably be just as fun as a manual.

this coming from an m6 ls1 owner.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:18 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You didnt make a bad decision. LT1's can be made fast too.

Do all the regular bolt ons, stall, and some tuning. You'll have yourself a low 13 sec. TQ monster that looks good too. Biggest HP increase you'll find will be in a set of headers. The stock manifolds on those cars suck.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Theres a guy aroung here with a cammed LT4 and that thing sounds mean as hell, I would probably trade him cars if he wanted, I love the sound of his car.

Throw a stall for sure on that car and your feelings will change.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Launching!

Nothing wrong with LT1s. I personally think the LT1 SS Camaros are the best looking 4th gen Fbody. I wouldn't go for the T/A if you have to pay more money..ie getting a larger loan. As the others have said, do the basic bolt ons and enjoy the car.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

DON"T get a LT1 T/A... They are the ugliest of the 4th gen f-bodies... The LT1 SS on the other hand is the best looking forth gen car out there... If you like driving a six speed, do a six speed conversion..
Old 05-09-2006, 07:04 PM
Launching!

i know im illiterit dont say a werd....keep it i have a m6 but a4 cars are much easyer to build hell you dont have to worry about breaking a rear end with an auto do a stahl ,gears,and long tubes you wont look back garente it
Old 05-09-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A4s aren't indestructible, it's easy to ruin a tranny if you're not nice. I just thought it was the lesser of two evils because a built tranny is cheaper than a new rear end, and 4L60Es tend to last longer than M6 rears anyway. Also, DD stalled bolt-ons cars tend to be faster than M6 bolt on cars with DD gears. And I had never ever driven a manual at the time I bought my car, I didn't want to find out how much I hated clutch peddle+bad traffic, the hard way. I wouldn't have been disappointed with either, both are awesome.