Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reducing Rasp or Loudness

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reducing Rasp or Loudness

I'm deciding on what to do with the long tube, ory, loudmouth setup I have...like many others. Just a little confused on what reduces what. If cats are installed, will the end result reduce more rasp or volume than a muffler-type would? Or would a muffler do a better job of reducing rasp?
Old 05-09-2006, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

your in the boat i am about to get into. i am looking for answers also. i was thinking about slapping a borla xr-1 bullet in or swapping my loudmouth for a hooker system.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:47 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by josepy121380
slapping a borla xr-1 bullet in or swapping my loudmouth for a hooker system.
Ding ding ding! What do we have for em' Johnny!
Old 05-09-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

I just swapped out my Sweet Thunder Rumbler catback out for a Hooker. they didn't have any 3" pipe left so now I have a Hooker catback with a Sweet Thudner in the I-Pipe. It's insanely quiet even with LTs and ORY that I have. 3" straight pipe for the I-pipe is coming in 2 days... should waken her up a bit
Old 05-10-2006, 04:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FHAWKer
I'm deciding on what to do with the long tube, ory, loudmouth setup I have...like many others. Just a little confused on what reduces what. If cats are installed, will the end result reduce more rasp or volume than a muffler-type would? Or would a muffler do a better job of reducing rasp?
There's no definative answer here as a lot of it is personal. However understanding what each approach will achieve should help.

The easy option is to replace the LM resonator with a glass pack straight thru bullet muffler such as Magnaflow, Borla, Dynomax, etc. Now bear in mind the muffler you fit will not contain much packing due to the limitations of space under the car. This approach should alter the sound and hopefully reduce rasp but overall volume, as in db will remain pretty much the same.

Something else to bear in mind, the TSP Rumbler exhaust is basically a Dynomouth. It uses a Dynomax bullet muffler. People still complain about rasp and drone with it, so adding such a muffler to a LM maynot be the best answer. Personally I think the Magnflow muffler sounds the best and it's cheaper than a Borla XR-1.

However as a personal view I actually prefer the sound of the LM resonator. Adding CATS should also reduce the rasp but probably won't affect the tone quite as much as a muffler swap. It should also have a greater affect on noise reduction, but do remember the LM is LOUD even on stock CATS/headers so it will never really be that quiet. LT's with a catted Y should make the LM sound very similar to what it does on a stock setup in terms of tone and loudness.

For me I'd just run CATS but being in the UK it really isn't an option not too. Although good CATS won't really affect performance/hp on a bolt on/cammed car. If you want to keep your ORY swap in a Magnaflow muffler - but it will still be loud.

Final option is a different catback, which really leaves you with limitless options. However if you like the ruff OTT sound of the LM I personally feel the Hooker would be a bit of a dissapointment.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Depends what you define as RASP?

I've listen to ALL of the clips on LS1sounds.com with the LM and only a couple appear to have any rasp. I would also say my z/28 running a LM also seems completly rasp free but I'm sure someone would say otherwise.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:05 AM
Teching In

didn't see ur post earlier this morning.. thanks for the good info
Old 05-10-2006, 10:12 AM
Teching In

What magnaflow muffler are ppl using in place of the LM resonator?
Old 05-10-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had the LM catback and the sound was good but too much drone and rasp. I pulled the resonator and threw in a moroso spiralflow bullet and that helped quiet things down and made the rasp/drone decrease...a little bit.

I then put on QTP LT's, Ypipe w/ high flow cats and that made the rasp go away almost totally and there is no more drone on the highway and the thing sounds like an old muscle car...I love it.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with magnaflow, I got mine for $400 shipped and its def worth it. All stainless 3 inch catback with nice tips and an awesome sound, cant beat that.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FHAWKer
What magnaflow muffler are ppl using in place of the LM resonator?
4" round. Part# is MPE-14419

Check out Magnaflows website or Summit. A 6" round muffler should have more silencing affect but I think you might be tight on space without it fowling the propshaft.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:49 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Borla XR-1, problem solved!

Peace,
Craig.

Quick Reply: Reducing Rasp or Loudness