Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

GMR Single Turbo with T-76GTQ

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMR Single Turbo with T-76GTQ

I've been lurking here for a long time, but rarely post. I've seen a lot of people asking questions about GMR.

I ordered the kit through ByunSpeed, and it was delivered right on time, so props up to both ByunSpeed and GMR. This is with a 9psi waste gate spring:

Lots more pictures of the install in progress are located here:

http://www.garysdecks.com/SS/

I've been working on it off an on for the past two weeks with the help of ByunSpeeds owner Young, along with a few other locals.

I'll say, this has definitely been a challenge so far. Quite a few problems to address. For one, my passenger side motor mount was almost entirely gone:

This kit will currently NOT work with aftermarket headers - it reuses the passenger side stock manifold. Fortunately, Young still had his laying around.

The instructions that come with the kit can use some improvements. The alternator relocation bracket turned out to be quite the puzzle, but after 4-5 tries, we finally figured out where everything hooks up correctly. I wish it was documented a little better so we knew ahead of time where to hook it up. Not a show stopper as Leo seems to be readily available and has the answers.

I've had to trim down the size of three of the pipes so far (ranging from 1" to 4") to make it fit.

Now for those of you that are wanting to upgrade to the 76, keep in mind that you WILL have some fitment issues. We had to pound about an 1/2" to an inch into the frame, along with installing some spacers under the drivers side k-member (provided with kit) and grind part of the steering knuckle down to make it all fit without anything hitting.

The power steering pressure line was a complete pain in the ***, as we had to bend it, install it, uninstall it, and bend it again repeatly for hours before we got it to line up without hitting anything.

The next challenge is to find a small 90 degree reducing elbow 4" to 3" for the air intake into the turbo as this is a very tight fit:

Hopefully, something like this will work:
http://intakehoses.com/Merchant2/mer...ory_Code=R9DEN

We cut up the stock bumper for the new grille, but I need to find something to make it look better. I'm thinking I can probably cut up the stock foam to put in on the sides. Then maybe spray paint the innercooler black. I dunno yet. I'll keep searching for some ideas.

If all goes well, I'll finally be able to fire the car up this weekend. Then the fun will be to drop the fuel tank for a new fuel pump, and install the 60lb'ers, along with fuel pressure, boost, and wideband o2 gauges.

For reference, I have a forged 375ci motor from MMS with the Stage2x heads and 218/561/114 cam. Compression is somewhere between 8.5:1 and 9:1. I honestly don't know exactly where it's at as my mechanic and MMS skipped town. Patriot dual valve springs. Spec Stage 5 clutch. Moser 12 bolt to mention a few of the other supporting mods.

Give me a few weeks before any dyno numbers posted as I've been casually working on this during a few evenings a week.

Last edited by MaverickWH; 05-09-2006 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Coal Mining Director

Looking good. Good luck on the results!
Old 05-09-2006, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, best of luck with completing the project and post up the #s when you get them. I'm very interested in seeing what the single w/a 76 can do.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you try clocking the turbo inlet side volute for more clearance?
Old 05-09-2006, 11:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by xssive
Did you try clocking the turbo inlet side volute for more clearance?
No, just the frame.

After this picture was taken, we pounded the frame in and it has almost 1/2" clearance:

Old 05-10-2006, 12:47 AM
Suspended Sponsor

Glad to see everything is going ok. I appreciate the feedback recieved from you and Young on the instructions, it is kind of hard to write them out when you have installed and uninstalled them to make sure you get every point that just comes natural to you. With the alternator bracket it can be a lil tricky, some people get it faster then others, it is a design that does work and once figured out is a nice piece.
Also on the pipes you have to cut, we do send some pipes/ silicone pieces a little longer to give some room for error and fitment issues from car to car and installer to installer.

You know how to get ahold of me if there are anymore questions
Old 05-10-2006, 05:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Awesome, just the thread im looking for. Would you think a t-70 would have fit in there with no issues?

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 05-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Flossin' twin turbos

you try these low pro fans i bought them for my TT kit.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Very nice! The reducing elbow should be here Friday, so if I'm still fighting clearance issues, I'll be considering this fan along with a becool radiator.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

One thing I forgot to mention. This kit DOES keep your a/c. I didn't think I would need it until a cruise I went on a few years ago when my a/c wasn't charged and it started raining in the mountains. That sucked as there was no way to get the windows to defog without the a/c.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

you can trim the backside of the shroud for more room, there are supports that you can remove a bunch of material from to make room.

also why did the kit not come with the elbow? no filter either?
Old 05-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
also why did the kit not come with the elbow? no filter either?
It's probably one of the "extra" parts laying around.

When the kit arrived, it was missing the alternator relocation bracket along with the cat pipe. We called GMR, and they had it shipped next day. I also ordered a new fuel pump and 60lb injectors with kit, and to my surprise it came with new plug wires and heat wraps.

When I ordered the kit through ByunSpeed, he told me the 76 would have some fitment issues, and I believe he was waiting on some pictures to see it. The elbow that I found with the kit looks like it mates up to the T61. After seeing where everything fits, I went ahead and ordered it up today so I can have it by Friday. I'm sure GMR would have taken care of it as well, but after all the money I've dumped into this, an extra $20/30 is insignificant.

Since this is my first turbo car, I'm still confused on how to hook up the waste gate, bov, boost controller (BLITZ Dual SBC Spec S Boost Controller), and where to put the T in for the boost gauge.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:39 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

good stuff my kit should ship out this week or early next week
Old 05-11-2006, 07:55 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

congrats, you'll like it
Old 05-15-2006, 07:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

You don't want Young hounding you, he'll TTT your post every day

Putting a T76 on this manifold definitely makes things VERY tight, but it obviously can be done On ZAngel's car, we actually slotted the motor mount tabs on the K-member (tubular) and slid the motor over to the passenger side about 3/4" to get enough clearance.

Can't wait to see your dyno results!
Old 05-15-2006, 07:25 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BYUNSPEED
How about next daying the missing part I requested last Monday that was supposed to be here this past weekend instead of me constantly asking for it.
You could have PM'd him about that! I am sure they will take care of your missing parts. I am sure you hate it when customers call you out in public well I know you do cause I have seen it happen to you. Just a friendly suggestion.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:04 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Hi, you quoted me, please read the last trailing end. And this wasn't the only missing item I have asked and asked for again and again before. I'm trying to be polite about it. Thanks.
Yeah well you posted that while I was typing so I didn't see the last post until I already posted it etc... I didn't think you were trying to be a dick, but just didn't want it to turn into a beat down on GMR as they are still fairly new and don't want them to get a bad rep for a little miscomunication etc... Seems like you have it handled though so have a great day.
Jeff
Old 05-15-2006, 12:02 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

I always give those three stooges a hard time and they know it.
Yeah they are pretty nice guys.
Jeff
Old 05-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

A few more pics updates now:

We painted the bumped support and the inside of the lip for the grille a metallic black:

This is definitely more of the look I wanted as it hides the inner cooler somewhat and still allows full air flow.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Restricted User

Looking good coming together. One small critique though - that IC doesn't look big enough to flow for the demand of a T-76. Is it a 3" core?

Quick Reply: GMR Single Turbo with T-76GTQ