LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Autometer Hook Up! Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Autometer Hook Up! Help Please!

Ok I have a 5" tach. I need to know where you guys hooked up the power and where you hooked up the ground. I have a LT1, which wire to I tap in for the RPM's.

I need to know a 12v power source that isn't on 24/7, just something that comes on with the ignition or light switch!

NEED RECOMMENDATIONS QUICKLY THANKS

!Josh

ANY PICTURES OR WRITE UPS WOULD BE GREAT! MAYBE EVEN A SCAN OF THE DIRECTIONS TO HOOK UP! I bought it used!
Old 05-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

You can tap into the ignition turn-on wire behind the headunit for power ( the stock wire color is yellow... if you have an aftermarket headunit, its red)... ground, you can tap in anyplace on the chassis, but you can also tap the ground in to the radio harness as well (Black wire)... finally, the tach wire is a white wire on the passengers side of the car behind the kick panel... look for the blue wire harness connector... its the full white wire comming off of that going towards the firewall to the pcm

BTW, i recommend using wire taps from radioshack so you dont have to cut the wires
Old 05-10-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a couple wire tappers but don't know how to use them.

I got it all hooked up except for the RPM wire, I'll use a tapper for that. I did red wire to ignition fuse box slot, white wire to dimmer fuse box slot and ground to engine bay for now. Works great.

I'll go check for the RPM wire, thanks,

i accidently kciked down the "kicker" panel along time ago. hahaha

Thank you for your help!
Old 05-10-2006, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

Haha.. thats good.. good to know you could kinda sorta understand what i was saying and have at least some background of the electronics of our cars... i dont know how many times iv had people ask me to hook up their gauges, lol

Anyway.. if you cant seem to find the tach wire, or you just want to make sure you got the right one... take a picture of the wire harnesses behind the passenger kickpanel and i will circle the correct wire
Old 05-10-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry for bad quality.......picture phone

Is that the wire.........the one my finger is on?
Old 05-10-2006, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

Should be the correct wire... if thats the connector with another white wire with a black stripe down the side, then yes, the full white wire on that harness is correct
Old 05-10-2006, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome! I saw that white wire with the black strip. Thanks again for you help when no one else wanted to help me.

So Can I just take a little chunk out of the white, expose teh wire and wrap the other wire around it, and cover it with electrical tape??

Or what would be a good way of going about it?
Old 05-11-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok sooooooo...........Some guy who had an LT1 told me it's the white wire under the passenger kick panel.........here is what happened.

so I tried to tap the RPM wire, which you said was white, but I did it and it didn't work, then I realized as I was connecting it off and on, my interior lights were going off and on. hahaha. so I was like hey i'll try to white one with the black strip. (WRONG) Then my security light came on and wouldn't let me start my car, I locked the doors, alarm set, then I opened the doors, teh alarm went off (usually i turn it off by putting the key it and putting it on the ON position, but that didnt work. It went for about 3 mintues and shut off, then it let me start it again (PHEW)

So i have determined it's not the white or white with the black stripe. Any other suggestions...I scared now to just tap wires now.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

the wire that GM suggests for a Tach is the Tach out on the PCM. Its the red connector, the only plain white wire on it. hooked mine up and it works perfect
Old 05-11-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anybody got a good picture of this connection??!?

Quick Reply: Autometer Hook Up! Help Please!