LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Optispark qustion?

Old 05-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optispark qustion?

My brother is currently building a custom off-road jeep and was wondering what would be the best optispark for an LT1? MSD?
Old 05-10-2006, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

All Optisparks suck... get the deltec system
Old 05-10-2006, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

i just ordered my delteq yesterday lol!
Old 05-10-2006, 09:46 PM
12 Second Club

hey squig you know something i just realized..... our cars are almost exactly the same mod wise i got upgraded pistons but you got some suspension i dont the LCA's and the relocation brackets and the subframes.... i got the spec 3 except im running a stock flywheel, hopefully ill be running the times you are once i get the suspension prolly gonna use a gift certificate to get SFC's and LCA and relocators..... think im gonna be investing in a 12 bolt before to long how bout you lol.... hows your blown 383 coming
sorry for the hijack
Old 05-10-2006, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

I dunno about that delteq, it still relies on the low res pulse from the opti(and your PCM absolutely needs the low res pulse to run, no if ands or buts period), so you still need a functioning opti to run delteq. The only thing I see it being good for cars that spin past 6200 rpms, seeing how thats where most cap and rotors fail. Delteq/LTCC give you a killer ignition though ;-)

However I honestly don't see how it could be anymore reliable then a genuine OEM opti spark on a stock/bolt on car. I've never had a problem with a cap and rotor, but my optical sensor(the thing the delteq still uses, it DOES NOT eliminate the opti entirely, just the cap and rotor, fyi) gives me loads of trouble, p1371 pops its head out alot, and I always fight with it.

Just something to think about guys before dropping 500+ for an ignition when you'll still need a good opti for it to work.

EDIT: and to answer the original question, go with an OEM genuine GM opti from a dealer, search for jason cromer or poke around on this site www.shbox.com to find out where to get one at whole sale price. I'd stay away from aftermarket ignition unless he plans on spinning the motor past 6200 rpms

Last edited by JimboManJones; 05-10-2006 at 09:58 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Optispark qustion?