General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

adding tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adding tranny fluid

My cars been bouncing of the rev limiter from 2-3 when at wot, I dont know if it happen on the 1-2 shift because i dont have traction then bad tires or 3-4 because i dont go that high. So i checked the fluid and its only half way on the hot part which means i might just be running low on fluid. So i was wondering if there are any easy ways to adding fluid into the transmission and what should i add, my fluid is still pinkish red and the car has exactly 24k miles on it so do you guys think i should just add fluid what came in it? or take it to a shop to get a tranny fluid + filter change.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

Get the fluid level up. It should be at the sencond hole on the dipstick when hot. Check it with the engine running.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:05 PM
12 Second Club

if you can change a gasket and don't mind taking around an hour then you can change your fluid and filter. it wouldn't hurt to change it i think your supposed to change it every 24k according to normal maintence intervewls. and best way to add is threw the dipstick and make sure to stick w/ a dexron 3 mercon.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea i second the filter and fluid change, you will notice a difference in how it runs
Old 05-11-2006, 03:15 AM
Staging Lane

I think i'll add fluid first see if it cures the problem and if it does then do a tranny fluid change, if it doesnt then ill take it to a mechanic. I checked it when it was running and after driving to school which took about 20 mins. Hmm hwo much harder is a tranny fluid change then an oil change because i can do oil changes just never done the tranny fluid before.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Not much harder at all, there's just no drain plug. You unbolt all the way around the pan except for a bolt or two in the front, pull the pan loose and let the fluid drain out of it. Then take that bolt out, drop the pan and be sure to clean it out good. It'll be full of all kinds of fine metal powder and junk. Also clean off the gasket mating surfaces good. Pull out the old filter, make sure the ring thing comes out with it, then put the new filter in. Make sure it's seated all the way. My uncle destroyed a tranny in a cavalier because the filter was not seated well and sucked more air than fluid for about three weeks. Install the new gasket with the pan, bolt it back up and add fluid through the dipstick. Let the tranny warm up and check the fluid again. Add until the dipstick says full hot, or the second hole. Now you're done, that's all there is to it.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:34 PM
12 Second Club

the best tip of all, INSTALL A DRAIN PLUG THE FIRST TIME YOU TAKE IT APART. It will make other fluid changes much easier. Jegs/summit, most speed shops have them, 6 bucks