Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Paint guys inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Paint guys inside

I have a question about durability. I had my calipers painted, NOT powder coated because the bodyshop said it would look much better and hold up fine. Two years later and 15K miles later they look just as shiny as the day I bought them and all I have to do is wipe them off to clean them. All my friends had theirs powder coated and they look dull and are chipped here and there.

I want to paint my timing chain cover but I don’t know if it will be able to handle the heat of the motor. I was thinking about just painting it Red with 500* temp engine paint but I didn’t know if it would hold up or not. Does that kind of paint need to be primered or clear-coated? Is the primer and clear what help the paint hold up so long- kind of like shields on each side? How many paint coats should I do and how long between coats.

I also want to paint my passenger side exhaust manifold that is still used with my turbo kit. Obviously it is rusted pretty badly. Can I just spray it over the rust or will it need prep like sandblasting first? I think the log gets like 1600*. Will it hold up or start to chip? How long will it hold up between coats? It comes off in about 30 minutes so I wouldn’t mind doing it once a year if I had to.

Thanks- Mike
Old 05-10-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SStolen
I have a question about durability. I had my calipers painted, NOT powder coated because the bodyshop said it would look much better and hold up fine. Two years later and 15K miles later they look just as shiny as the day I bought them and all I have to do is wipe them off to clean them. All my friends had theirs powder coated and they look dull and are chipped here and there.

I want to paint my timing chain cover but I don’t know if it will be able to handle the heat of the motor. I was thinking about just painting it Red with 500* temp engine paint but I didn’t know if it would hold up or not. Does that kind of paint need to be primered or clear-coated? Is the primer and clear what help the paint hold up so long- kind of like shields on each side? How many paint coats should I do and how long between coats.

I also want to paint my passenger side exhaust manifold that is still used with my turbo kit. Obviously it is rusted pretty badly. Can I just spray it over the rust or will it need prep like sandblasting first? I think the log gets like 1600*. Will it hold up or start to chip? How long will it hold up between coats? It comes off in about 30 minutes so I wouldn’t mind doing it once a year if I had to.

Thanks- Mike

Dont paint your manifold, you need to ceramic coat it, paint will burn right off, it gets way too hott. If you search around they are starting to ceramic coat differecnt colors and it looks badass.

Quick Reply: Paint guys inside