Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First attempt to clay bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 11:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First attempt to clay bar

Alright i went and picked up a Meguair's clay bar and spary on finishing touch and am going to attempt to clay my formula. Anyone have any comments or suggestions for me? All will be appreciated.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:15 PM
12 Second Club

Just follow the directions and you'll be very happy. I've claybarred all of my cars and it always makes a huge difference.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It does make a huge difference. Everyone should do it, but it's especially for when you wax your car and it stills feels rough. After you clay and wax it, it will be soooo smooth.
Tip: Just keep it really really wet so it glides across the car. If it gets dry and starts sticking you will get streaks that are hard to get out. I used water with dish washing liquid to keep it wet. If it has degreaser it will take off whatever wax you have but claying may do that too. I don't know? Anyway, you'll want to wax it afterwards too so just do it.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check the clay surface after you have worked out 'scuffy areas' I'm referring to the feeling of the clay dragging, then gliding, after the contaminants have been trapped. You'll want to keep a clean surface on the clay so you don't slide picked up dirt around.

Use half a bar to start. You don't need a whole one. Plus if you drop it, throw it away, you've got another half. Spray lubricant liberally, you really can't have too much.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes make sure the clay is clean otherwise you will be rubbing it all back into the paint and will swirl it up prettty badly.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00firebird
yes make sure the clay is clean otherwise you will be rubbing it all back into the paint and will swirl it up prettty badly.
I have a question regarding this. On m rear bumper mainly, I have small specs of "stuff" embedded in the paint. Its from our god-sent "dust shelves" of a rear bumper. I tried a bug and tar sponge to get most of it off but there is still some "stuff" in the paint.

My question is after I wash the car real good, and begin clay bar-ing to get this "stuff" out of the paint, what should I do regarding all that **** coming onto the cly bar? Should I wipe the clay bar clean after each "pass" ? After it becomes covered in this "stuff"

Thanks
Andy
Old 05-11-2006, 06:45 AM
Staging Lane

keep folding the clay and kneeding (sp?) it to get a fresh surface after every 2 ft section...1 claybar will be usable at least 3 times for a car this size
Old 05-11-2006, 06:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Dserby1
keep folding the clay and kneeding (sp?) it to get a fresh surface after every 2 ft section...1 claybar will be usable at least 3 times for a car this size
So it is okay to kneed it then? I didnt even think about that. I figured once the surface of the clay bar was contaminated, you needed to discard that "layer" of clay. I will give it a try on sunday.

Thanks
Andy
Old 05-11-2006, 07:21 AM
mcG
TECH Resident

wash the car with dawn dish soap first. and i put a tarp down under the area i was working on just in case i dropped the clay (it's really easy to drop it).
Old 05-11-2006, 08:34 AM
12 Second Club

Clay it as you wash, use the soapy water for the lubricant, it is faster, works better, and it alot easier than using that spray bottle which is just soapy water anyway.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sprayed1998
Clay it as you wash, use the soapy water for the lubricant, it is faster, works better, and it alot easier than using that spray bottle which is just soapy water anyway.
I will try that. Thanks

Andy
Old 05-11-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

the claybar i got said "WARNING DO NOT USE WATER AS LUBRICANT" have no idea why but just letting u guys know
Old 05-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

A friend of mine does detailing for a living at a used car dealership. When he does clay he just uses a bucket of soapy water. It works just as well as the spray, just costs less.

He also told me about the coolest thing ever. They have a big clay bar that attaches to an orbital buffer. How amazing?
Old 05-11-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

Keep it lubbed. Nothing worse that trying to do it and it keeps drying up on ya. LOL
Old 05-11-2006, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

use plenty of lubricant (you can't use too much for the clay, it just makes a bigger mess).. My preference is Quick Detailer, but soapy water (car soap) works also, but to me it makes a bigger mess.

keep checking your clay, kneading it as necessary. Do not work too big an area at a time .. if this is the first time the car has been clayed, be prepared to spend a little time doing it.

and above all, if you drop the clay bar, do NOT try and reuse it. you are just asking for trouble. (unless you have something clean, lint, and dust free to catch it when it falls)

follow the directions that came with the clay, and you will do fine ..

Originally Posted by CajunCC
He also told me about the coolest thing ever. They have a big clay bar that attaches to an orbital buffer. How amazing?

that explains the way some cars look when the dealer is done installing the DISO

shortcuts are almost never a good thing.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

See this has just irked me to no end Cause I was soo unsure about how much spray to use to keep it lubed.. and was told you hardly need any etc..

Again this just goes to show to each has their own subjective level of whatever it is we ask L Streetable, or not, etc etc. lesson learned.... keep the clay bar wet shouldn't *catch* on the paint at all.

When using Zaino on the car.. I practiced on the Buick and Jeep first haha..

Buick: Used the clay bar and realy kept it wet, and did it etc, only one coat of the z2 w/ zx stuff.. Came out crazy smooth and nice..

Since it was my first time claying, I thought well sheesh the clay doesnt look dirty at all.. maybe I did it wrong. I used the zaino car wash and water int he spray bottle for lube.

Jeep: Used much less lube, clay bar got mad dirty and the car was noticeably streaked by the clay bar. I was like wow this looks like it is working now... Wash.. with the dish wahsing liquid then the zaino car wash.. then did a single z2 coat.. sigh not very smooth, somewhat shiney.. and could still see the clay streaks somewhat..

TA: Used a lil more lube, had some clay streaks, bar was a little dirty etc.. re-washed it witht he zaino car wash, then did 2 coats z5, 3 coats z2, used the finishing polish spray etc.. this was where I fubar'd the washing of the towels and gave my cra a really nic static charge on the paint, which needless to say didnt wash off with zaino car wash :0

The ta was shiney as hell, dont recall seeing any of the clay streaks.. but it wasn;t very slick feeling.. smooth.. glossy.. but not "slick* liek the buick.

Ill redo it next week and see if I can;t get that slickness by going nuts with the lube like on the buick.

Anyways thanks for the above comments, as I typed and thought this out loud I see my errors Thanks again.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sure you can use your car wash soap/water mix to clay on but I would recommend you finish a wash first, rinse, then repeat to clay if you do that.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

Nods.. Did a full Dawn car wash prior to the clay.. *buick* then used ample car wash/water mix to keep the clay bar mad wet and then used another towel to dry it off as I moved to another area, I guess I didn't want the car wash/water mix to dry.

Is that best ?
Old 05-11-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes, wiping it off as you go is the best. that is why I use QD, instead of soapy water, since that is what it is designed to do..

just make sure you are using a Microfiber towel to wipe off with, and not something that will be scratching your paint while you are trying to make it look better.

(I am not a fan of washing with dawn, btw)
Old 05-12-2006, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

Nods, I use one of the 100% cotton USA towels. Hehe witht he dawn it is a pain int he *** to get all of it off the car. It seems that the dawn just doesnt wanan come off. End up rinsing the car off 2-3 times using the jet spray, can't just take off the nozzle and let it just rinse off with hardly any spotting or water on the car like I can do with regular car wash.

Quick Reply: First attempt to clay bar