PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning scaring me away from moding!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 08:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning scaring me away from moding!

Hi, I’m a 24 year old vette enthusiast living in Bahrain (Middle-East). I got my first vette on Feb 2005 (C6 A4 Z51 coupe) which I drive around for about 5 days of the week thus being more or less my daily driver. Anyway, moding would’ve been much easier if I was somewhere in the states. Shipping charges are much cheaper and performance shops are all over the place. I’m stuck in a country with no tuners or dynos, yet I don’t want that to stop me from moding. I’ve already placed orders for various items and I’m thinking of tuning the car myself (a first timer for me). I’ve found a wealth of information on this forum and several others in regard to tuning. I have limited idea about what I need to do, decrease fan on/off temps, increase idle, remove TQ management (by making it kick-in at a virtually impossible torque value), but that's about it. I know that there are MANY other tables the need to be modified and this is where I need help.

I’m under the impression that the HP Tuners package is the one that best suits my needs but I’m still willing to take other people’s opinions and thoughts into consideration. I would very much appreciate any help or guidance in regard to any issue related to how to tune the vehicle to support the mods I’m installing soon. I’m planning on segregating my mods into two stages. Stage 1’s tune is my main concern right now.

Stage 1: -

1 ¾” LG Pro Headers (No Cats) + X-Pipe
Halltech Stinger CAI + Induction Option
LG’s G5X3 CAM, lsa 114
Partiot "Gold" .650" Lift Dual Spring Kit
Compcam Pushrods
160 Degree Thermostat

Stage 2: -

Torque Converter (Somewhere between 2800 and 3400)
SLP 25% Underdrive Pulley
3.42 Differential (Or probably the cheaper option of Ring & Pinion only)
Transmission Cooler
205 Heads (AFR or ETP)
Shiftkit

Please remember that I’ve already placed orders for ALL items on stage 1 thus I can’t go back in time and cancel them. Plus, I don’t want to! Have I forgotten anything..? Any suggestions..!? Please remember, this thread is not about commenting about the mods I’m planning to install on the vehicle, it’s more about what I need to take into consideration when tunning it. My biggest worry is tunning the CAM knowing that it does not fall under the ‘mild’ category of CAMs. I was well impressed with people's testimonials in regard to the performance of that CAM. I know that if I get the tune right I’ll love it and I’m seeking your help cuz I don’t wanna end up hating it.

Many thanks in advance!
Old 05-11-2006, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

My best advice to you is to read the posts in the stickies which are designed for new tuners. Once you get the software, open the program and try and find tables and follow along with posts as people are talking about them. There IS a learning curve involved, but if you need to learn how, you will.

I was in a similar situation only because there wasn't any tuners (that I knew about) in my area that I trusted.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:13 AM
Import Patrol

May I suggest that you get the torque convertor installed at the same time. It will help with the drivability of the cam.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:29 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the feedback... I was actually thinking of installing the torque converter and the transmission cooler as part of stage 1 but I'm still unsure in regard to the stall speed that would serve me best. I don't wanna get low stall and regret not getting a higher stall speed, nor do I want to be annoyed by high revving at low speeds and the added cost of lower MPG if I end up choosing a higher stall speed. I was thinking of 3400 but many friends advised me against it saying that I might face some drivability/streetability issues because of the stall speed being too high.

To be honest, I do weigh the opinions I get from posts on this forum more than the advice I get from friends! Yet, it is still easy to make me doubt my decisions and keep my actions on hold..
Old 05-11-2006, 04:28 PM
10 Second Club

As far as the stall goes, I had the Yank ss3600 and liked it alot. Enough stall for performance but tight enough for drivability. Actually acted much like the stock converter. When swapping over the the TH400 I stayed with a 3600 stall for these reasons aswell.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:31 PM
9 Second Club

Received 221 Likes on 164 Posts

If your going to do the pulley then do it when you install the cam and save yourself alot of work.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:43 AM
TECH Junkie

As smokingv8 mentioned, there is a learning curve, but judging by the way you've done your homework, I'm sure you'll overcome it quickly.

Make sure you order a wideband when you order your tuning software. Check out www.greenlightmotorsports.com for package deals on EFILive and Innovative widebands.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any package you look at (HPTuners/EFILive) there is a learning curve, but like TAQuickness mentioned, you have done your homework and will have a easier time learning the software. Several of us have used all of the programs out there and I for one can honestly say that EFILive is easier to use for a lot of people. Built in search feature, easy to navigate screens, and one hell of a support community over at www.efilive.com. Also check the link in my signature and you can download a demo copy of EFILive to see just how easy it is to use.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:31 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

I just came back from Bahrain and I personally can attest that there is a big LSx sceen over there. I know you have to order everything- it's an island you have to order everything. I find it hard to believe you have not discovered www.gulfgt.com they have direct links to the Bahrain dyno and garages. I found many fine tuners over there. Bahrain is definitely a happening place- well on it's way to becoming the Las Vegas of the Middle East. Definitely give Green Light Motorsports a good look. You won't find more comphrensive support of a great product.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

I have HP Tuners and love it. i would suggest getting the EIO option and get a wideband. between this site and HPTuners.com/forum, i have gotten somewhat decent i think. and as a few others have said, i would do the pulley at the same time as the cam swap. its a PITA to take off the crank pulley, and i would only want to do it once