Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much am I losing not having a ported Fast 90/90

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much am I losing not having a ported Fast 90/90

I have a Fast 90/90 setup.

My question is how much am I leaving on the table by not having it ported?

I have Absolute Speed Stage 2 heads and a 230/236 .592/.602 112lsa cam.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Mike
Old 05-11-2006, 03:26 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/504589-tony-mamo-ported-fast-90-intake-results.html

Glance down the page a bit........................
Old 05-11-2006, 03:52 PM
10 Second Club

You definitely stand to gain quite a bit. If you don't want to go full-port with it, at least knock the ridges off the inside. Some of them can be pretty nasty!

Mine won't be ported until I get heads, but I had Jonathan@Tick Performance in NC de-ridge it and it works well!
Old 05-11-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504589

Glance down the page a bit........................
Yeah....but how much of that 20hp was because of the porting?

What I mean is....I dont believe that he had the Fast 90/90 setup on before.....then ported it and made the extra HP.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JoeyAnderson
You definitely stand to gain quite a bit. If you don't want to go full-port with it, at least knock the ridges off the inside. Some of them can be pretty nasty!

Mine won't be ported until I get heads, but I had Jonathan@Tick Performance in NC de-ridge it and it works well!
Do you have any photos of what you're refering to?
Old 05-11-2006, 09:28 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by mike#9
Yeah....but how much of that 20hp was because of the porting?

What I mean is....I dont believe that he had the Fast 90/90 setup on before.....then ported it and made the extra HP.
Keep reading the thread. He did picked up 22rwhp with a PORTED FAST 90/90 over an LS6 w/ stock TB. He would have made AT LEAST 15-17 more w/ it unported (conservative), so that only means he gained 5-7 out of a $500 port job. That whole thread turned into was it worth the money or not.

Originally Posted by BOTTLE ROCKET
Do you have any photos of what you're refering to?
Here's some pics of the "big ridge" that comes in all of them. I knocked mine out with a die-grinder and then finished it with a fine wire wheel on a Dremel.

Old 05-12-2006, 03:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, those are some great shots. For clarification, is this looking down from the plenium into the runners leading to the heads (with the top removed)
Thanks
Old 05-12-2006, 07:02 AM
Launching!

TheBlurLS1 -

Do not forget that I picked up 20 RW Torque and the car is a ton more responsive. Also, please note that I am running 13:1 AFR and no dyno tricks and still hit 472 RWHP and 422 RW Torque. My car has perfect streetability.

I will post the dyno sheet tomorrow. If I bump this up into race trim (As most guys do when posting their dyno), I will get even better results as have other members who have a Mamofied FAST 90 intake in race trim, namely Jrod and Patrick G. So, I am documenting the conservative side of the package in at 13:1 AFR. I have not seen an unmodified unit come even close to it. By the way, the shops (Vendors) on this site that sell the stock FAST 90 intake that I have contacted, have shown me their results on the stock unit and they were all between 10 - 15 RWHP and 5 - 10 RW Torque - All at the high end (And the stock FAST loses RW Torque in low and mid areas). My intake shows gains across the entire band.

Again, I appreciate your opinions, and just wanted to share my results. I have seen other ported FAST Intakes, and so have the guys who work on my car(Again, who are vendors on this and other forums) and they stated that my Mamofied FAST Intake was the best they ever saw, period. There is no question that Tony Mamo knows what he is doing and all of his R&D has paid off in my set-up. Thank again Tony.

Is it worth the money? Absolutely, to the individuals that want the most out of their package. Remember, you get what you pay for and my results speak to just how good Tony Mamo's intake is.

JG853

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Keep reading the thread. He did picked up 22rwhp with a PORTED FAST 90/90 over an LS6 w/ stock TB. He would have made AT LEAST 15-17 more w/ it unported (conservative), so that only means he gained 5-7 out of a $500 port job. That whole thread turned into was it worth the money or not.

Here's some pics of the "big ridge" that comes in all of them. I knocked mine out with a die-grinder and then finished it with a fine wire wheel on a Dremel.

Last edited by TheBlurLS1; 05-12-2006 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:22 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by BOTTLE ROCKET
Thanks, those are some great shots. For clarification, is this looking down from the plenium into the runners leading to the heads (with the top removed)
Thanks
Those pictures are taken from the outside of the port, what would be looking "into" the intake manifold. My hand is where the top shell would be.

JG853 - I guess I didn't read carefully enough! I had been looking into getting mine ported, but got turned off by the price (which I just found out in your thread). I'll have to see how much money I have to play with this summer after the new motor is built, I might end up doing it after all.