Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finished Installing Headers, a few notes

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 09:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finished Installing Headers, a few notes

Well I just put in my Pacesetter longtubes in my t/a. I did not find it hard at all.

Notes:
-I have pretty decent tools, most bolts and things came right out, I had trouble with one header bolt that was rounded out. I had a friend help me with getting me tools and finishing up loosening and tightening things. He did an awesome job.

-Pacesetters did in-deed go in very nicely. I had to jack the car up very high, used the spare jack and stacked bricks underneath it and then supported with jackstands. The rear wheels were on rhino ramps. Pass side went in 1st try no sweat when i had it at this level. Drivers side caught on the extra casting of the block. I cut off a tiny piece with my dremel and the header made it past.

-I haven't put on my ORY yet, I may want to drive around open headers for a day or two (paranoid about cops though). I started it up in my garage, MAN is it BEASTLY!!! (anyone got any thoughts on whether or not i should drive it open headers for a day or not?)

-I wish i HAd: Better jack, Pneumatic ratchet wrench, 10mm deep sockets. Other than that I did alright with my standard tools.

-I wish i bought o2 extensions, splicing with the pacesetter kit sucked, I ended up soldering the extensions and it was more work than it was worth.

-I deleted the air system and am happy about it. I see no point in it and it just is a bunch of clutter.

Just thought Id let you know how things went and extra info for anyone searching.
Can anyone share how they routed their drivers side Oxygen sensor wire? I cant find a way that won't melt the wire. (Well i have a way but its kind of ghetto, I tied it to the o2 sensor on the other sides wire. Long piece of string in between)

Can't wait to take it for a ride.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you have some pipe to put on the header collector, I wouldn't do it (you'll possibly screw up the new O2 sensors)
As for the wire, I used a small Adel clamp and took off one of the oil pan bolts and put the clamp there and put the bolt back in (looks fine and keeps it off the headers)
If they are the 13111s you can route the behind the oil filter, that will keep the wire off the header until you can figure out a better way (the oil filter doesn't get hot enough to melt the heat protector on the wire, if it does you got bigger problems than melted O2 wires))
Old 05-14-2006, 12:56 AM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

good info.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't run open header unless you want to buy new O2's.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

i thought 02's didn't have the AIR system?
Old 06-13-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timmkish
They don't have the external EGR, they still have AIR
Old 06-13-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by timmkish
02's don't have EGR.