Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Metal for X-Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What Metal for X-Pipe?

I am about to purchase a universal x-pipe for my 1999 SS and fabricate everything to fit. A certain kit I am looking at is made from 16-gauge steel (aluminized). Now I know nothing about metal, and was wondering if this would be all right to use?
Thanks!
-Tyler
Old 05-13-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aluminized steel is fine for your exhaust, it may rust after several years of use, but it'll work just fine. If you don't want it to rust spend some big bucks get stainless steel
Old 05-13-2006, 08:23 PM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

I've had aluminized true duals on my 6-cylinder Jeep for about two years, now, and no rust whatsoever other than on the headers(plain black paint). And I'm talking mudding, wheeling... she's been ridden like a Vegas *****, to say the least.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of stainless exhaust(other than headers), because believe it or not, stainless WILL rust under the right conditions. I mean, I take care of the car, but I highly doubt I'm gonna be showing off any of the exhaust other than the headers and tips, so the rest could be made of styrofoam and duct tape for all I care, so long as it sends the exhaust where I want it to.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ric
I've had aluminized true duals on my 6-cylinder Jeep for about two years, now, and no rust whatsoever other than on the headers(plain black paint). And I'm talking mudding, wheeling... she's been ridden like a Vegas *****, to say the least.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of stainless exhaust(other than headers), because believe it or not, stainless WILL rust under the right conditions. I mean, I take care of the car, but I highly doubt I'm gonna be showing off any of the exhaust other than the headers and tips, so the rest could be made of styrofoam and duct tape for all I care, so long as it sends the exhaust where I want it to.
I see you live in Georgia as well. That could be the reason why. I honestly don't see rust being a problem in our area. I got the ceramic-coated Pacesetters and the rest will be hidden under the car (dumps). So no reason for it to be all shiny with stainless. I'm glad this won't be a problem.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:36 AM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I'm up here in the high country, about 10 min from TN/NC. When I say the Jeep get ridden like a Vegas *****, I mean as in, Tellico 4wheel trails, every mudhole in the area, and the only wash it's had in the past year and a half is from rain. So, I'm impressed with how the pipes are holding up... they'll probably outlast the frame.

Yeah, if people comment on how shiny your X-pipe is, it's time to lower your car.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ric
Well, I'm up here in the high country, about 10 min from TN/NC. When I say the Jeep get ridden like a Vegas *****, I mean as in, Tellico 4wheel trails, every mudhole in the area, and the only wash it's had in the past year and a half is from rain. So, I'm impressed with how the pipes are holding up... they'll probably outlast the frame.

Yeah, if people comment on how shiny your X-pipe is, it's time to lower your car.
Oh man, I really do miss Tellico. I only had the privelage of taking my Jeep up there once before I sold it. That was definitely the most fun I've ever had in a Jeep. I only had about a 3 inch lift on it, so I didn't get to go to all of the "funner" places. I met up with some pretty awesome rock-crawlers there and followed them for a while until we came to a fork in the road that seperated the big and the little boys. Oh well. What kind of Jeep do you have? I'm wanting to buy an older one (CJ-7 more than likely) that is already kind of beat up so I won't care if I run it into a tree or anything. When I get it, I'll be up there at Tellico as often as I can

Well, my car is still stock height...but I won't be getting anything like "My Tyler, what shiny exhaust pipes you have!" since it's just aluminized steel.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

It's an '85 CJ-7. Mods are in my sig, hoping to go spring-over this summer and 35s. Once I get a winch, my wife'll let me take it up stuff like the Staircase, Helicopter Pad, etc. She worries 'bout her baby.

Good luck looking for one, man. Try for an '86, as they more than likely came with a Dana 44 rear axle.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ric
It's an '85 CJ-7. Mods are in my sig, hoping to go spring-over this summer and 35s. Once I get a winch, my wife'll let me take it up stuff like the Staircase, Helicopter Pad, etc. She worries 'bout her baby.

Good luck looking for one, man. Try for an '86, as they more than likely came with a Dana 44 rear axle.
I watched a pretty awesome looking Toyota try and go up that Staircase thing. He didn't succeed...

Thanks for the tips!