Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

555Rs vs GS-D3s - street traction

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 555Rs vs GS-D3s - street traction

Trying to decide on which tires I want to get for the T/A, since the Fuzions on there have about had it (although they were damn good tires before the 4.10s). My two choices are Nitto 555Rs, or GS-D3s. I know the Nittos will hook better after a burnout, but I rarely go to the track, so that's not a major consideration for me. Are the Nittos still better than the GS-D3s on the street, without any sort of burnout or tire-heating activity? I don't street race, but I do want to be able to punch it in 1st or 2nd gear without just watching the tach shoot up and hear spinning tires. If the Nittos aren't significantly better than the Goodyears, I'll likely go with the GS-D3s.

Also, I've got the stock "torqued" 17" wheels on the T/A right now...what's the widest I can go with new tires? 255s? I'm guessing 275s would be too wide.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can't go wrong with either--they're both very very close. More importantly, they blow the Fuzions away.

I'd give the GS-D3's the edge in the rain though. I can drive almost as aggressively in the rain as I do normally. I have not hydroplaned with them once--even in 2" deep water. In the snow, they both can be lethal--so forget that.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Nittos will hook better hot or cold. If you have 17x9" wheels the widest I would go would be a 285, but If you want to sick with the stock diameter then go with a 275/40/17.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

After an incident this past winter in my T/A with the Fuzions, the only snow she sees is through the window in my garage.

I might go with the Goodyears if the traction isn't a significant difference, because they come in a 275 width and rain driving is something I do in the T/A. Also, I feel like a bit of an idiot now, but the wheels I have are 16" - mind slipped for a second - with a stock width of 245.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Element
After an incident this past winter in my T/A with the Fuzions, the only snow she sees is through the window in my garage.

I might go with the Goodyears if the traction isn't a significant difference, because they come in a 275 width and rain driving is something I do in the T/A. Also, I feel like a bit of an idiot now, but the wheels I have are 16" - mind slipped for a second - with a stock width of 245.
In that case I wouldn't go any wider than 255. I'de go with some 245/50/16 Nitto 555R tires IMO.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BackinBlack02SS
In that case I wouldn't go any wider than 255. I'de go with some 245/50/16 Nitto 555R tires IMO.
Hmm...they are a good bit cheaper. I guess it can't hurt to try those for a bit, and if I don't like them, put the GS-D3s on.

Are the Nittos drivable on the interstate in the rain? I know some people say there's not a problem with it, and I know some people say to check the weather and not go out if rain is forecast.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Element
Hmm...they are a good bit cheaper. I guess it can't hurt to try those for a bit, and if I don't like them, put the GS-D3s on.

Are the Nittos drivable on the interstate in the rain? I know some people say there's not a problem with it, and I know some people say to check the weather and not go out if rain is forecast.
With good tread, they are great in the rain, but when they wear down, they can become scary like any other tire.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:28 PM
10 Second Club

nitto DRs are AMAZING in the rain. of course as there is less tread its going to become an issue, but thats any tire.

nittos will be like $70 each for a 245/55/16 size, goodyears.. probably $200+ judging by the prices of goodyear tires ive looked at.

get the nittos, and since nittos run narrower id get a 255/55/16 if they make it
Old 05-13-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cop Car
nitto DRs are AMAZING in the rain. of course as there is less tread its going to become an issue, but thats any tire.

nittos will be like $70 each for a 245/55/16 size, goodyears.. probably $200+ judging by the prices of goodyear tires ive looked at.

get the nittos, and since nittos run narrower id get a 255/55/16 if they make it
Only size Nitto offers for a 16" wheel is a 245/50, and DTD has them for $140 a tire :\
Old 05-13-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Junkie

I've had both tires. Nittos will give better dry traction (the difference is quite noticeable). In the rain, they are not bad, until they begin to wear down. When they lose some of their tread, they can get scary on the highway (when raining).

The GS-D3's are a better "all-around" tire. The dry traction is not as good as nittos, but wet traction is superb. You will also get more miles out of them, which justifies the fact that they cost more than the nittos (I believe).

It just comes down to what you're looking for. I used to run GS-D3's 245/50/16 all around, then swapped the rears for nittos because I wanted the better dry traction, and couldn't be happier with my decision.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

As stated above the 555R's will outperform the D3's in straight line hot and cold. In any other category the D3's whoop the 555R's backside. The D3's are exceptional rain tires and handle cornering very well. They hook decently in a straight line for a street tire. Mine might be able to eeek out 20K miles rotating every 3K. No burnouts, only about 20-30 slight spinovers to clear the tread at the track. The 555R's handle rain great when new but the performance quickly goes south the more they wear.

With your 4.10's I don't see any street tire hooking up well especially with a small 245 16" tread contact pattern. The 555R's will help over the street tires.

Where in WV are you located? If I was not moving here in a few days I would offer you a ride to check out the D3's firsthand.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ryan02SS
As stated above the 555R's will outperform the D3's in straight line hot and cold. In any other category the D3's whoop the 555R's backside. The D3's are exceptional rain tires and handle cornering very well. They hook decently in a straight line for a street tire. Mine might be able to eeek out 20K miles rotating every 3K. No burnouts, only about 20-30 slight spinovers to clear the tread at the track. The 555R's handle rain great when new but the performance quickly goes south the more they wear.

With your 4.10's I don't see any street tire hooking up well especially with a small 245 16" tread contact pattern. The 555R's will help over the street tires.

Where in WV are you located? If I was not moving here in a few days I would offer you a ride to check out the D3's firsthand.
Martinsburg, in the eastern panhandle. I've got a buddy going back up to WVU here in a few days for summer classes, but he's a Jeep nut.

I want to swap to 17x11s for the 315s, but want to wait until I decide on my rear axle - SJM is likely going to be buiulding a custom set of Bogarts, and I want the backspacing to be right for the new axle.