General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

question about coolent

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about coolent

i had my radiator flushed today and they put in the green stuff is that ok to run in the ls1's? its an 02 z28
Old 05-13-2006, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was flushed really good, it wont hurt it, If they are mixed it will turn to nasty *** slime and plug up things that you dont want plugged up. When I bought mine it had green in it, but the waterpump gaskets were leaking so when i replaced those I completely flushed it out and put dexcool back in it, I dont think it makes much difference, I just did it for good measure.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:29 PM
Launching!

NO!! You need to go and buy Prestone's Dex-cool and use that. The reason we can't use the green coolant is because of our aluminium blocks.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:54 PM
Launching!

yeah you have to use dex cool only. it says so in the manual. the other green stuff will mess your cooling system up.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:05 PM
11 Second Club

arent radiators aluminum?
Old 05-14-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My owners manual says to use 50/50 mix "dex-cool which won't damage alumunum parts." In Helms under draining and filling it says "Important. Do not use a chemical flush." Also says to use dex-cool and "If coolant other than dex-cool is added to the system the engine coolant will require change sooner;30K or 24 months." IMO they should've just replaced it with what the manufacturer recommends.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:31 PM
Launching!

Yeah that's right it should be a 50/50 mix with clean drinkable water. What I did is flushed it for like 5 minutes using the water hose. Then put a gallon of the Dex-cool in the radiator and toped it off with water. I think thats close to a 50/50 mix anyway.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

NO GREEN Coolant....ORANGE is Fine.....DEX-COOL is BEST...
Old 05-15-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

50/50 mix with drinking water??? Id use distilled water cause there are no minerals
Old 05-15-2006, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

i didnt tell them to do it they just did it
Old 05-15-2006, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We can't use green coolant? Ooops. Well that explains the nasty stuff on my coolant dipstick. Guess I'll be flushing my cooling system now. Luckily I've only added a minimal amount of green stuff since owning my car.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by komik
We can't use green coolant? Ooops. Well that explains the nasty stuff on my coolant dipstick. Guess I'll be flushing my cooling system now. Luckily I've only added a minimal amount of green stuff since owning my car.
NO GREEN COOLANT.....ORANGE or DEX-COOL ONLY...... GREEN stuff and ALUMINUM do not get along with each other....
Old 05-15-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a single person in here has stated the facts of your situation.

1.) Mixing coolants is bad, because silicate (green) coolant destroys the long life properties of dex cool. Essentially when you mix them they become tainted and of less resiliance to rust than either coolant individually. This is the source of most of the urban legends. Even just a quart is enough to cause this problem.

2.) Having said that, once you have silicate coolant (green) in your system, there is no real way to remove it. Unless you can literally fully flush the entire system free of every drop of coolant... then you are better off sticking with green coolant, because any partial flush using Dex cool as a replacement will give you the same instable mix.

3.) Green coolant will NOT destroy your system. The problem is, that you have an all aluminum system. Thus when it starts to rust, there is no visual indication. This is why Dex cool is important, because it's additives last safely 5 years is the system is never contaiminated. However when you go to green coolant, its additives only last 1-2 years, and there is no red-rust to show you it is no longer working.

Therefore if you get mixed in green coolant you have two choices:

1. Stick with green and remember that you are going to have to change it at least every 2 years, every year to be safe.

2. Thoroughly flush the entire system (block, heater core, thermostat flow, every last drop) and revert to Dex cool.

In your situation, you are somewhat hosed, because the business that messed this up in the first place obviously isn't capable of doing what is necessary to fix it properly.

I would get confirmation of what happened from the store manager, contact their corporate center, and have them foot the bill for a proper and thorough tear down flush at dealership or other third party.

Regardless of what happens if you decide to go back to Dex cool make sure to make a habit of regularly checking it for any thickening. You will not be able to rely upon it for performance over 1 year.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chevytat2
i had my radiator flushed today and they put in the green stuff is that ok to run in the ls1's? its an 02 z28
F the manual 2001NBWZ28 answered the question correctly.