Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone actually had a FAST 90mm TB work as advertised?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Has anyone actually had a FAST 90mm TB work as advertised?

I've done some searches...& I've seen ALOT of negative feed back on this TB.
I hope that these are isolated problems since I purchased the FAST 90/90 from TBYRNE a few months back..He gave me a deal on the combo so that's why I got it..
I'm hoping to hear some of you are actually happy with the product.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine seems to be ok...I have had it for a year and a half now. It sticks every once in a while though....not bad though
Old 05-13-2006, 10:08 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

I think it was SUX2BU that blew his engine cause the throttle stuck...that was enough for me to stay away from them
Old 05-13-2006, 11:57 PM
TECH Regular

There's got to be more to the story on that..How could a throttle body cause an engine failure?
The only thing I could think of is one of the butterfly screws getting sucked down the intake.
The throttle stuck open at WOT?
I've seen that happen on an '04 cobra...But that was because the carpet interfered with the pedal..It bounced of the limiter a few times & he shut it down..Why didn't SUX2BU do the same?
Old 05-15-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

anyone else?.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:24 PM
TECH Regular

I just talked to FAST..They are totally aware of what's been said here in regards to their 90mm TB & have taken steps to improve it..The TB's are not manufactured in-house..The new ones have higher spring tension & a revised throttle shaft.
This is what they told me..
I'll see when I get the car running & follow up then.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i know PLENTY of fast tb's that got stuck open.... that had a recall on them before....... but ive seen some never do it... but to me i wouldnt take the chance.....
Old 05-21-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

Default & heres what mine did.

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
i know PLENTY of fast tb's that got stuck open.... that had a recall on them before....... but ive seen some never do it... but to me i wouldnt take the chance.....
I started the car yesterday....& It stuck..
So it looks like I'll be using a carb return spring.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:21 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having flashbacks. Good luck with that POS TB!
Old 05-21-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

my throttle sticks, the only reason i bought my fast tb was because i got a good deal off ebay.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:24 AM
MASS seller approved

Been running my Fast 90 tb for almost 2 years now. Never had a single problem.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

yea ive heard of them sticking to, i like my stock ported tb, the piston is smaller that opens up the throttle plate...quicker response....
Old 05-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Nick Williams sells a ton of his throttle bodies that bolt up to a fast 90mm intake for a reason... I bet that for every fast 90mm throttle body that is sold, there's 20 intakes sold, that TB is junk.

If you put it up for sale, brand new in box, you'd have a damn hard time even selling it.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

I have a feeling my fast 90tb is going to make a neat looking paper weight when I replace it. It has way too much shaft play, and even with a helper spring it still won't go back to idle unless you snap it shut, and sometimes it hangs at large throttle openings as well.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Those things are so bad, I'm surprised that fast hasn't been sued by someone with one sticking open causing an accident.... the smartest thign they could do is discontinue that thing, or strike up a deal with NW and have him make them for fast, and permanently solve the problem.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

I had one and it stuck bad. The spring totaly solved the problem but I still ended up buying a NW because of tunning issues.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Regular

Default Update:

I just got back from the HotRod Power Tour & one of the event sponsors was the Comp group..As in Comp Cams,TCI,& of course, FAST..
I spoke to one of the reps at the Orlando kick-off & casually mentioned my problem..He offered to go look at the car & sure enough..He confirmed the weak return spring..He said "Let me make some phone calls.Leave me your information." I checked back with him the next day at Gainesville & he told me that he would have a new one shipped to the Columbia,SC event two days away..& sure enough,Tuesday they had one waiting for me.
So now I can say yes..Yes I have one that works as advertised.
The new ones are great.I'm very happy with it.
The only tuning issue I had before was with the IAC motor..It was only held on with the upper torx-head screw..The bottom one stripped out..So as a result I had a small vacuum leak.The car didn't idle very well.The FAST TB cannot be modified to accept the lower factory Torx fastener,..There is an air passage right behind the screw hole..So they also ordered a new IAC..It looks very similar to the factory IAC, but it came in a COMP package & it actully fit the bore on the FAST 90 perfectly..I had the GM performance guys cut down & re thread one of the Torx screws..So that problem got solved as well..

Last edited by BYE RICE; 06-13-2006 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:42 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by BYE RICE
I just got back from the HotRod Power Tour & one of the event spondors was the Comp group..As in Comp Cams,TCI,& of course, FAST..
I spoke to one of the reps at the Orlando kick-off & casually mentioned my problem..He offered to go look at the car & sure enough..He confirmed the weak return spring..He said "Let me make some phone calls.Leave me your information." I checked back with him the next day at Gainsville & he told me that he would have a new one shipped to the Columbia,SC event two days away..& sure enough,Tuesday they had one waiting for me.
That's pretty bad ***! People who go out of their way like that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I watched an episode of rides with Christopher Tidus leading the power tour. This guy broke his Richmond 6-speed in his bad *** Nova and Year 1 got him a new one (for free), then a shop along the way installed it and they only charged the guy $1.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:13 AM
11 Second Club

I had been meaning to post about this for a while but never got around to it.
Several months ago I purchased a FAST 90/90 combo. I was reading on here about all the negative feedback on the TB so I called FAST to question them about it. They said the spring and the shaft had been revised and if I had any problems that they would make it right. I installed it and the intake and had no issues.
I also read that someone blew up a motor because of the TPS sensor not getting a correct reading due to the throttle shaft being too short. So once everything was on I took the car down to Scott Racing here in cincy to check on this. Hooked up HPtuners and took the car for a spin down I275. Absolutely nothing wrong. No throttle sticking, no goofy TPS voltage.
Anyone who's had a problem with a FAST TB, I'd suggest you call and speak to them about it.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BYE RICE
I just got back from the HotRod Power Tour & one of the event spondors was the Comp group..As in Comp Cams,TCI,& of course, FAST..
I spoke to one of the reps at the Orlando kick-off & casually mentioned my problem..He offered to go look at the car & sure enough..He confirmed the weak return spring..He said "Let me make some phone calls.Leave me your information." I checked back with him the next day at Gainesville & he told me that he would have a new one shipped to the Columbia,SC event two days away..& sure enough,Tuesday they had one waiting for me.
The only tuning issue I had before was with the IAC motor..It was only held on with the upper torx-head screw..The bottom one stripped out..So as a result I had a small vacuum leak.The car didn't idle very well.The FAST TB cannot be modified to accept the lower factory Torx fastener,..There is an air passage right behind the screw hole..So they also ordered a new IAC..It looks very similar to the factory IAC, but it came in a COMP package & it actully fit the bore on the FAST 90 perfectly..I had the GM performance guys cut down & re thread one of the Torx screws..So that problem got solved as well..
Damn... those are all my problems. Did fast/comp say if they would do any of this on warranty. Mine has the same two issues you had. PM me if you know.