LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 02:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans problem

i've got a 93 z28 with a 6-speed manual, but i have a problem with the transmission. about half the time when i'm letting off the clutch in third gear, it kicks it out of gear. i don't know what's wrong. do i need to completely rebuild my trans or is it a smaller problem than that? is it the clutch?

thanks!
Old 05-14-2006, 02:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thrid gear block ring is out, along with 3rd gear and 3-4 syncro.

First the block ring goes out, thus not stopping the gear so the syncro can slide into place, because of this you are rounding / shearing off the teath on your third gear. Now that the teath are meesed up the syncro and the gear will not stay ingauged. When they are new they mesh, and the more force the harder they mesh, when you take off teath and round off the ones left they slip and let got thus poping out of gear.

Hope this helps out, I am in the middle of two t-56 trany rebuilds right now and i have a third on monday.

Average shop is 250.00 for labor, plus parts
Ebay has all your parts for cheap, but good luck letting your shop let you bring them your parts, they like to mark them up to make a buck, not to mention that they will tell you a lot more stuff if wrong than what is. Then when you pay to have it all replaced they don't they only replace what is wrong and pocket the rest.

Your parts should run you around
200 for a block ring kit
125 for a 3-4 syncro
120 for a 3 gear
4 qts of fluid
and some silicone
plus 250 labor

To answer your question , no you don't need a total rebuld , it sounds like just one gear. Make sure to look at 2nd gear it gets a lot of abuse too.

Good luck

B-rad
Old 05-14-2006, 09:54 AM
Teching In

is this something i could do myself with the help of a good book or instructions, or is this gonna be way over my head?
Old 05-14-2006, 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

I'm not sure on your mechanical knowledge, you might buy the t-56 rebuild book off ebay. You will need some specialty tools to do the job. $$

If everything is working but 3rd, and 2nd gear gets alot of wear, just take it to a shop and buy what i listed above. 1-2 syncro could have some wear along with 2nd gear if you miss shift alot

Sorry i could help out more, if you were closer i could do it for you,

B-rad
Old 05-14-2006, 05:59 PM
Teching In

what kind of tools and do you know how much they would run? i would love to learn how but i don't want to screw up my car. would the 1-2 syncro and second gear be similar in price to the 3-4 syncro and 3rd gear?

thanks so much for your help!
Old 05-14-2006, 06:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Bens93Z
what kind of tools and do you know how much they would run? i would love to learn how but i don't want to screw up my car. would the 1-2 syncro and second gear be similar in price to the 3-4 syncro and 3rd gear?

thanks so much for your help!
This is not tranny related but I once tried to buy some specialty tools for the LT1 and they were about $100 for a couple little plastic sleeves. I said **** that and went and conned the dealer into letting me borrow them.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

ya 1-2 syncro are about the same price as 3-4 as well as 2nd gear to 3rd.

Tools you will need

Snap ring pliers from Sears
, one size small and one medium, both have to do snap rings with holes
$12, $18.00

Also a outter flat set of snap ring pliers, they look like needle nose pliers but they will open up a snap ring $20.

A small set of punches

Some flat head screwdrivers

Rachet 3/8 drive and some sockets, Cresent, Torques # 40, Vaseline (It is compatiable with ATF, so you can lube all the bearing during install.

A Rear pinnion bear puller from Harbor Frieght $10.00

A Bench Press from Harbor Frieght as well $80.00-100.00 you can borrow one from someone if you need too, You will need to pull off the 1-2 & 3-4 syncros and press them back on.

Here is what you are getting yourself into

If you can give me a few days i can take some pics when i do another t-56 and make a nice write up
I finished one last night and the one in the pics i will have to put back together soon. A couple days after that i have a third t-56 to tear down, so i can make a write up with disassembly and reassembly for you, if that would help out. I know all the shops are going to hate this, but the forums is here to help so i will help out, do it yourself , save some cash style.

B-rad
Old 05-14-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Looks like the tools aren't too specialty but always beware when they say "specialty tools!"
Old 05-14-2006, 09:08 PM
Teching In

thanks man, i'd love to use your write up. i really appreciate all the help! i wouldn't be doing it for another week at least so whenever you have time.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:13 PM
11 Second Club

Specialty tools per the t56 book, you are supposed to have two different GM pullers to pull the bearings, gears and syncros. I rigged up my own specialty tools using the rear pinion bearing puller and press. The 24" three jaw puller is $200 in itself, but hey, you can spend your money how you want and take it to the dealer...they only charge $75 per hour of labor. I was going to help a fellow f-body guy out but if you want to be *** about it I will take my knowledge else where.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Teching In

where is the id number on my transmission for when i'm getting parts?

Quick Reply: trans problem