Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifter Install questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Shifter Install questions

ok, i just ordered me a Pro 5.0/LSS combo, and have been doing some reading to get ready for the install, but have some questions.

first of all, i was reading the install university installation guide, and they mention a "white cup" that needs to be replaced if it's damaged. anyone know the part # for this part, and approximately how much it will cost?

second, would it hurt anything to use some 1/16" silicone gasket material to seal the bottom of the shifter instead of using the RTV sealant? that way it can just be re-used if it ever has to come off again for whatever reason.

also, is there anything else i should know/be wary of when doing the install, and is there any other "while i'm in there" kinda stuff?
Old 05-15-2006, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There shouldnt be a problem using 1/16" silicone gasket but thats just me i would definately get a second opinion, i forgot where i got this website from but it might help .

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=12

let me know how the install goes im planning to order a 5.0 pro this week.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

Ls1xd, Holy god, I think that is the biggest sig pic in the world. I am pretty sure the mods are gonna remove that. Max sig size is 500 x 150 pixels. If you don't have the software to do it, ask nicely in the sig thread in the multimedia forum, and someone can make one for you.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:28 PM
11 Second Club

Old 05-16-2006, 11:29 PM
TECH Addict

yes, please do something with that sig pic, that thing is ginormous! 1296x972 is just a wee bit larger than what is allowed.....

but anyway, back on topic....anyone know the part # for that "white cup" that is spoken of? i just got my shifter in today (right before i had to come to work, of course), and will be installing it tomorrow when i get home. i'd like to run by the dealer or parts store and get a spare cup for "just in case", as long as it isn't gonna cost too much.

and again, are there any other "while you're in there" type things that i can do "while i'm in there"?
Old 05-17-2006, 12:30 AM
Launching!

I just re-installed my stock hurst and didn't notice a white cup. I put a B&M SS in my other car though and it had a white bushing (cup I guess) that went around the shifter ball to take up slack. I misplaced it and called B&M directly and they shipped me one for free. You might want to try that with the Pro5.0 company.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The white cup they refer to is more tan colored and is bonded to the shift rail offset lever. This is the part that the shifter fits into. If the bushing is loose or damaged you will not be able to get it separately from a dealer. It is sold only as a bonded assembly. To be sneaky, order a T5 bushing( they are the same) and epoxy it in yourself. With care, you will not have to teardown the trans to do the change( as you would if you replaced the bonded part)
Old 05-17-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Go to www.projecttransam.com and check out the install of the Pro 5.0,it's the best I've seen! I woyld make this a link but don't know how yet,but type it in you wont be diappointed.I just installed mine today and it was a great help and he used a gasket he cut from material...I did the same,got it at Ace hardware.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

how thick was the gasket you used? cause i've got some of that 1/16" silicone gasket material i was talking about, and just wanna make sure that it won't be too thick, causing the bottom of the shifter to not fit all the way down into the cup in the tranny, and get a bunch of "play" in the stick.

and yeah, that is a good e-documentary of the install....nice pics
Old 05-18-2006, 05:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats what I used...Good Luck!
Old 05-18-2006, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless its an ultra-thin paper gasket, I would shy away from that idea. So whats wrong with RTV?
Old 05-18-2006, 07:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As the guy explained on www.projecttransam.com a lot of the coplaints on this shifter are due to noise and the rubber seal isolates it.Seems logical so I tried it but don't have enough miles yet to confirm or complain.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

well, i just got done with the installation and i used the 1/16" silicone gasket that i made, and it works great! it's gonna take a little getting used to with the Lou's Short Stick on it, but i think it's gonna work out great. it's definitely a lot better than the "big rig" feel that the shifter used to have.

i will say this, tho....i cut the boot like it said, and i kinda wish i hadn't. i had read that it causes it to be more noisy when it's cut, but i decided to go with protection of the shifter from dirt instead. it's not that big a deal, tho, cause i usually have the radio on kinda loud anyway, so it will be drowned out. i can just imagine what it would sound like if i had just used RTV sealant instead of the silicone gasket, tho.....
Old 05-18-2006, 02:18 PM
12 Second Club

I bought some Do-It Yourself Gasket kit from Ace Hardware. Hopefully it'll do the trick. Wouldn't the rubber get really hot? It doesn't say anywhere "hi-temp" proof or whatever..
Old 05-18-2006, 02:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
well, i just got done with the installation and i used the 1/16" silicone gasket that i made, and it works great! it's gonna take a little getting used to with the Lou's Short Stick on it, but i think it's gonna work out great. it's definitely a lot better than the "big rig" feel that the shifter used to have.

i will say this, tho....i cut the boot like it said, and i kinda wish i hadn't. i had read that it causes it to be more noisy when it's cut, but i decided to go with protection of the shifter from dirt instead. it's not that big a deal, tho, cause i usually have the radio on kinda loud anyway, so it will be drowned out. i can just imagine what it would sound like if i had just used RTV sealant instead of the silicone gasket, tho.....
if you could find a pic of the material you used to fabricate the gasket, it would be great
Old 05-18-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bastien
if you could find a pic of the material you used to fabricate the gasket, it would be great

there's not much to see....it's just a reddish-orange piece of silicone in a 1/16" sheet.....completely smooth on both sides. i got a small piece of it for free from a place i used to work, it's a place that sells hydraulic hoses, gaskets, etc....industrial supply company, i guess you could call it....just a local shop around here
Old 03-14-2007, 07:54 AM
11 Second Club

Just found this site. fbodyshiftergaskets
dot com. Well worth it.