General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Hesitating on cold start???

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hesitating on cold start???

Hello,

Recently, I've installed the LMII on my car. I've noticed over the past week or so, I've developed a hesitation on Cold starts. If I find a way, I'll post a video or soundclip. But I can't think of anything that would be causing this. The only thing I've done is install the catback. Is it possible the car's asking for a tune after JUST a catback? Any inputs Greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Rick
Old 05-15-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

describe your hesitation...
Old 05-15-2006, 01:24 PM
Launching!

Rather than fire up once it sparks.. it almost sounds like it deisels for a second then starts. All happens very quickly. Last night I thought it fired but I had to turn the key twice because it died right after I let go. It doesn't seem like a big problem. The thought crossed my mind - maybe its a fuel pump?
Old 05-15-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

could be, i had a fuel pump go on me, and for like a week maybe a week in a half the car picked up a hesitation, and i was thinking it was something having to do with fuel, and finally one after noon i when to start it up and it started to choke and idle really radically then eventuallyit died cause it ran out of fuel in the line. it did end up being the pump. do u notice a hesitation when your driving?
Old 05-15-2006, 03:21 PM
Launching!

So far, I haven't experienced any abnormal effects. Just the hesitation on cold start. If it was a fuel pump, even at this stage, wouldn't it be on every start? Could it be a fuel filter? or injectors? Maybe Spark plugs?(which are farely recent btw) I haven't had any chance to really play around with it. Just been pepaying her lately due to the massive amount of rain here in new england lately. Hopefully I'll get a chance to safely give it some juice and see if I notice any problems then. I hope its nothing serious.

Rick
Old 05-15-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

i guess all u can do is check the things that u mentioned when u get the time,its prolli just something minor like that.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:00 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro Rick
So far, I haven't experienced any abnormal effects. Just the hesitation on cold start. If it was a fuel pump, even at this stage, wouldn't it be on every start? Could it be a fuel filter? or injectors? Maybe Spark plugs?(which are farely recent btw) I haven't had any chance to really play around with it. Just been pepaying her lately due to the massive amount of rain here in new england lately. Hopefully I'll get a chance to safely give it some juice and see if I notice any problems then. I hope its nothing serious.

Rick
i'm having a hard time understanding the problem. i have the LMII and don't experience any starting problems. it IS normal for cars to be harder to start in the cold. my 3.4L V6 took a few cranks. in warm weather it was pretty fast. my LS1 now is immediate. much better spark.

possibly:
the LMII is VERY good flowing. maybe if your spark plugs are on their way out, the extra richness your engine generates from the very good flowing exhaust may have been just enough to push them over the edge. in other words, that little bit of extra richness was the straw that broke the camel's back. they may be on their way out causing hesitation to startup. i'd say try new plugs. at 2 bucks a pop it's no big loss even if it isn't the problem. you could always use new plugs

when you say it sounds like a deisel, do you mean the way it starts or the exhaust note? because my LMII sounds like a truck at startup and idle but sounds AMAZING over 3 grand!
Old 05-15-2006, 11:01 PM
Launching!

I meant that it sounds like it Deisel's on the initial revolution. Instead of going "click-bwwwaAa" it goes "click- bwuwuwaAa". If you verbalize those, although strange, you can probably get a better understanding of what I'm experiencing.

By the way, I'm right with you on the LMII. It bothers me to read posts of people cursing about it. Although I don't have headers...I can't imagine wanting it to sound any different. Maybe a little louder. It sounds unbelievable. Better than any video game I've played. haha.

Rick
Old 05-16-2006, 09:20 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro Rick
By the way, I'm right with you on the LMII. It bothers me to read posts of people cursing about it. Although I don't have headers...I can't imagine wanting it to sound any different. Maybe a little louder. It sounds unbelievable. Better than any video game I've played. haha.

Rick
oh yea. when people said it was "quiet", i thought they meant like a stock car...like you can't really hear it. it's only quiet under 2k. WOT it's loud as ****! and it's a GOOD tone, much better than most LS1's (IMO borla sounds like total **** and magnaflow is quite raspy, but again, my opinion). my car sounds just like a 5.0 mustang, IMO the best sounding cars ever made. i'm so incredibly impressed with this system and even though it came stock on the car (2001 formula) making it 5 years old, it looks brand new! you can see your reflection in the muffler. gotta love stainless!

i was figuring i would take the exhaust right off as soon as i had the money to do so and go the route of true duals. now i'm thinking about going headers/catted-y to make it louder but not lose that tone. not only will it be cheaper, the system will have the more loudness i want. i don't like taking my car WOT because well, the weak rear, tranny and engine abuse, but luckily this system sounds GREAT and LOUD at 3k, coincidently where it sounds like a 5.0 soooo happy.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to check the plugs, they could be cracked on the porcelain insulator, and the rain is enhancing the problem by giving the spark another place to go (aside from in the cylinder)
Also check the plug wires are not damaged (it's possible to break them just removing them, especially if you grab the wire not the boot) also make sure they are seated, one click on the plug side, 2 on the coil side
Old 05-18-2006, 07:30 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah my camaro sounds like a deisel until its warmed up, and twice the rpms have fallen real low and it stalled out. DO you think its the spark plugs
Old 05-18-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

i would also agree check/replace plugs and might as do wires as well.

did you notice a difference in cold start-up idle smoothness?

either way: plugs = pwned by LMII
Old 05-19-2006, 10:04 AM
Teching In

yes, all engines start up hard in cold weather. my engine has a hard time starting up down here (texas) when it's cold so i can only imagine waht it's like in the new england area. check the plugs thats all your really can do. if the problem isn't the plugs and it's not a fuel pump, check the fuel injectors. EFI is good, but like all other things it's not perfect. my engine starts up and has a very noticeably different tone then when it warms up and i get driving, it's got the classic muscle car tone we all adore, and my plugs and fuel pump are fine. check the plugs and maybe even the wires.