Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FMIC bypass valve

Old 05-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMIC bypass valve

I am getting ready to change from the twins to a fmic and was wondering has anyone venting the bypass valve to the outside? and did you have any problems doing this.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am venting to the atmosphere, however I am using a Mondo BPV not the crappy stock ATI piece. No issues other than the noise.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:10 AM
Launching!

I have the newer pro-flo, I was told that if you vented it to the outside it would cause tuning problems with the maf when the car shifted gears. I was just wondering if anyone was having any problems with this set-up.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

From what I understand, in the mean time between shifts you run rich if you vent BOV to atmo. What's the deal? I'd like to know too.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:00 PM
SSU Moderator

You are talking about a basic blow-off valve or bypass valve. Same thing, but usually 'bypass valves' are vented back into the intake tract. Blowing off to atmosphere is no big deal...but on an MAF car you have to make sure you are metering exactly the amout of air making it to the engine. So don't put a BOV between the MAF and the engine...put it in the intake area before the MAF, then you can vent to atmosphere or back to the inlet of the blower. If you vent after the MAF, before the motor, you'll run REALLY rich I assume.

The point of either device is to relieve the pressure between the turbo/blower and the TB when the TB closes when you let off the gas. the unit will bark or chatter when the air has no where to go, and in some cases (probably over an extended amount of time, or in extreme cases) it can damage the turbo/blower. The BOV/bypass just lets that charged air escape when the TB closes.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:34 PM
Launching!

thanks for the input
Old 05-17-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

If your setup is sucking the intake air through the MAF, you have to recirculate the bypass air because its already been measured by the MAF. The only way to vent to atmosphere on a MAF equipped setup is if your blowing boost through the MAF.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FMIC bypass valve