Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do u knw if ur motor mounts are going bad

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 02:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do u knw if ur motor mounts are going bad

i belive my motors mounts are goin out, how can u tell, i have a clunking sound if i let the clutch out quick in like 4th gear, which ones should i get?
Old 05-15-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

clunking sounds, excessive motor movement, vibrations are all signs of mount failure. Be sure to check your tranny mount too. Poly mounts seem to be the most popular around here.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

if it is really bad, the motor will shake at idle with the hood open as well,
Old 05-15-2006, 05:43 PM
11 Second Club

if the motor is trying to remove itself from the car, it's time for new mounts
Old 05-15-2006, 09:38 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are bad from the factory.

The first thing I would check if I was you would be the transmission mount. You can jack up the car, take the 4 bolts out of the tranny crossmember (with the tranny supported with the jack), and see if it's toast in about 15 minutes.

If the motor mounts are crapped out, I'd just wait untill I put LT's in to do them. The rubber is sandwiched in between a clamshell like deal. They don't really "break" like tranny mounts do, which can totally seperate. OEM tranny mounts are over $70, but I've got one that has about 5k miles on it for sale.

I would tell you to throw on a poly one, but it's not a good idea to run a poly trans mount with stock rubber motor mounts, it could do nasty things to the tail of the trans.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:39 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
They are bad from the factory.

The first thing I would check if I was you would be the transmission mount. You can jack up the car, take the 4 bolts out of the tranny crossmember (with the tranny supported with the jack), and see if it's toast in about 15 minutes.

If the motor mounts are crapped out, I'd just wait untill I put LT's in to do them. The rubber is sandwiched in between a clamshell like deal. They don't really "break" like tranny mounts do, which can totally seperate. OEM tranny mounts are over $70, but I've got one that has about 5k miles on it for sale.

I would tell you to throw on a poly one, but it's not a good idea to run a poly trans mount with stock rubber motor mounts, it could do nasty things to the tail of the trans.
again
Old 05-16-2006, 02:11 PM
Banned

the tranny mount is good i have an polyurthane in there, but my motor does not shake at idle with the hood open
Old 05-16-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmm..I wonder if that can be the case with my broken rear seals on the tranny. I did have some wheel hop before, have to check it here in a few weeks, that may be the next project.

Quick Reply: how do u knw if ur motor mounts are going bad