Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple of questions about what the guy at the shop said / Exhaust options. *Merged*

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Couple of questions about what the guy at the shop said.

I took my car in to a local shop today and set up a time to come in and get some stuff done to it. What he thought I should do is change my muffler in the back for a new one(He suggested flowmaster, but said they also had magnaflow and bassani, i think I like the magnaflow, what do you think?). Is there anything you gain from switching out the rest of the pipes with a full catback, or will the stock ones work fine?

And the other thing he said he could do is something with the EGR. He said the pipe in there could be cut down and some stuff smoothed out, but that it would work the same, the air would just flow through there better. It is going to cost $60 to do, should i do it? What will it do? Thanks!
Old 05-15-2006, 10:10 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Speedmonster185
I took my car in to a local shop today and set up a time to come in and get some stuff done to it. What he thought I should do is change my muffler in the back for a new one(He suggested flowmaster, but said they also had magnaflow and bassani, i think I like the magnaflow, what do you think?). Is there anything you gain from switching out the rest of the pipes with a full catback, or will the stock ones work fine?

And the other thing he said he could do is something with the EGR. He said the pipe in there could be cut down and some stuff smoothed out, but that it would work the same, the air would just flow through there better. It is going to cost $60 to do, should i do it? What will it do? Thanks!
The flowmaster has great sound, but has shown to actually hinder performance slightly. Cutting off the EGR tube can be done in your garage with a hacksaw in about 2 minutes, netting you about .1rwhp.

I would check out a nice catback from one of our sponsers and have them install it. An airlid would also be a good mod, they are almost all the same performance wise (10rwhp or so), and very cheap.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:57 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, so basically I shouldn't do the EGR "porting" or whatever he called it. How about the muffler thing, would I gain anything from getting an entire catback? Or would the stock pipes be fine for this? I'm planning on getting the Magnaflow muffler since I know I like the sound of the catback, I'm just assuming its the same muffler. So what, if anything, would I gain from getting an entire catback over replacing the muffler?

He's supplying the muffler and installing it for about $150 too, thats a big + over the whole catback, which is over $400, and I'm a college student, so money is tight

Oh, and I already have a lid, I just forgot to mention it . Sorry.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:16 AM
Launching!

I'm pretty sure this is what he's talking about with your EGR. Worthwhile mod, but not for 60 bucks, you could do it in a few minutes yourself.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

The replacement muffler might be worth a couple hp, it's going to be for sound mostly.

If you really want the most for your money, just get a cutout (~30 bucks) and another 20 to install. With the stock manifolds and cats, it's not too loud, and it'll outflow any catback. Cutout on a stock exhaust will give you ~6-10whp, a catback will be a less than that.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

i say CORSA...but it costs money to look good and sound mean...cutout would sound mean as ****
Old 05-16-2006, 12:27 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah I know, everybody keeps telling me to get a cut-out . I don't really want one though, I know I woud just leave it closed all the time. lol. What I really want to know is what, if anything, would I gain from getting an entire catback over replacing the muffler? People talk about the catback doing about 10hp normally, and you're saying it would only do less than 6hp? Are you saying that cause of it only being the muffler or are you saying that the entire catback would do less than 6hp?

Anyway, if somebody could answer the "So what, if anything, would I gain from getting an entire catback over replacing the muffler?" question before it fades away into nothingness

thanks
Old 05-16-2006, 01:04 AM
TECH Addict

Magnaflow cat back.. leave the EGR alone.. no gain from it.. get a lid.. get a new stock paper air filter.. call it good.

(I dyno'd a before and after test of a paper Vs K&N filter.. i got a 1hp difference.. and a 3hp difference with no air filter.)
Old 05-16-2006, 01:12 AM
That's what she said...

You are going to only loose 1-2hp by swapping just the muffler as opossed to swapping the "catback", as your cats/y-pipe are the weaklink in the current system. You won't notice a SOTP difference by any means.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:41 AM
12 Second Club

Default Different exhaust options, opinions?

Ok, to start things off I have a 00' WS6 and the only mods on it now are a lid and K&N filter. I'm about to get my exhaust re-done by a guy at a shop, I already have an appointment, but I just have some question about how these different things are and how good they are compared to each other(they are my options and then my options with headers which I plan on getting eventually). Everything behind the Y-pipe would be done by a local shop and the prices I have include installation(unless i was going to get the whole catback, then I would do it).

1. Replace stock muffler with Magnaflow muffler. (~$150)
Performance?
Sound?

2. #1 with Pacesetters (~$675)
Performance?
Sound?

3. Replace stock muffler with Bassani muffler. (~$150)
Performance?
Sound?

4. #3 with Pacesetters (~$675)
Performance?
Sound?

5. Full Magnaflow Catback. (~$430)
Performance?
Sound?

6. And finally #5 with the pacesetters. (~$950)
Performance?
Sound?

Thanks for any responses
Old 05-16-2006, 04:55 AM
mct
Teching In

go with Magnaflow Catback, I had flowmaster muffler before the magnaflow and i didn't know anything in performance but gain in sound. When i swaped to magnaflow i felt the diffrence between magna and the flowmaster muffler.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

You need to ask yourself what sort of mods you will do in the future. If you onyl plan on doing the lid and the exhaust, then replacing the muffler only would be fine for you. As other have said, you will be looking for sound here more than power.
Now, if you plan on doing headers and a cam, then you might want to consider saving up for a cat-back. The larger diameter intermediate pipe on a cat-back will support more power down the road.
Mostly stock - muffler alone will sound good and you will pick up a little power
Future Mods - save up for the cat-back

If you spend $150 now, and then have to buy a cat-back later at $400. Then you wasted the $150.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedmonster185

Exhaust mods are good, but to gain in HP you need to do the entire exhuast. For appearance and sound then a catback is best.

You could replace the stock muffler but then you're still left with 2.5" tubing in mild steel so you'll have to swap it out later on anyhow.

If your on a budget, save up and get a catback. If you can stretch to it get LT headers, new mid pipe (ORY or if you need CATS then get a catted one) and the catback.

Checkout TSP (----> a sponsor) you can get Pacesetter LT's and their ORY for like $500, they also offer a catback called the Rumbler for about $200.

Stay clear of the Flowmaster as it doesn't as well as the others.

As for EGR, well NO it's not worth it at all and really shows up how little they know about engines unless they are straight trying to con you.

EGR uses an inert gas (exhuast gas) to lower PEAK combustion temps which then results in lower NOX emissions. However EGR does not operate at full throttle so it doesn't cost any HP at all. Removing it and paying $60 for the privilege will only make your wallet lighter and not your car faster.

If you want to remove EGR you can do it yourself for free. If you do remove it you might as well remove the AIR system also (also FREE) which means you can get the Race style headers as opposed to the emission style ones.

There's no performance difference, one has EGR and AIR fittings and one doesn't. If you have to pass a sniffer test and will be running CATS then you might aswell leave the other emissions controls (EGR/AIR) on there, as they DON'T affect performance.

There's a link to a simple mod guide in my sig, have a read and I think it'll help you out some.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:55 AM
12 Second Club

Ok, so with the mods I plan on getting in the future, would you suggest the whole catback, or just the muffler(remember, I can go back to this guy and have him put new pipes in the catback later if I get just the muffler for now, probably not for too much $ either)

All I have now is the lid, and the mods I plan on doing are: Pacesetter LT headers, new Y-pipe, probably an ORY, this exhaust I'm doing now, and possibly in the future a torque converter. So not a whole lot. Then sometime on down the road I *may* decide to do some other small things, pullys, stuff like that, all bolt-ons though.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I know you probably aren't going to want to hear this, but you should seriously think about doing these installs yourself. The money you'll save on installation costs over the long run is well worth the effort on your part.

Other than that, if you intend to eventually replace the entire exhaust, then go with a full catback instead of just the muffler. (Install it yourself and you can put those install costs towards the cost of the catback system) Do it right the first time, or you'll end up doing it over down the road.

As for EGR, there's a difference between cutting the EGR pipe flush, and removing it entirely. Cutting it flush can be done by yourself at no additional cost. If the gains are negligible, so be it. The cost was just as negligible. If you ever pop off your throttle body though, take a look into the intake and see just how obstructive that tube looks sticking down into the intake neck like that. I do agree that you'd be wasting money paying somebody else to do it though. For that mod, either do it yourself or don't bother doing it at all.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

Ok, so my plan was to have this guy put the muffler in now, along with some tips, then later on Im going to install the header and y-pipe, and have him replace the piping for the catback somewhere around the same time. The problem for me is I dont have very much money that comes in all at once(Im just a college student ), so what I figure is $150+tips+intallation of the tips now(lets just say $300 total), then later on Ill either get him to replace the piping first, or get my headers and ory wich will be about $525 w. shipping. I dont think that the piping for the catback($ I dont think it should cost to much cause he was going to do a true dual setup for me originally from LTs back over the axle for $500-570, so I dont think catback piping should be too bad). So basically I would be doing it in increments so I could do things earlier(plus this would eliminate the magnaflow tips, cause I dont like them ). So are you saying theres anything wrong with what Im planning on doing, or it just might cost less if I do it the other way?

Thanks again for all the help guys!