Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tunning sts car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 02:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tunning sts car?

Hello I have a 01 z with a STS turbo on it and was wondering what the gains of a speed density would be and also if I should switch to a 3 bar map?

I had the car tuned with the mass air and am having lots of hesitation problems where the car shuts down as soon as it comes into boost. I was told this might be the mass air so I bought a new one and I am having the same problem with it. I don't know which way to go but have been told that converting to SD and a 3 bar map would be benificial for me. I am running 10.5 lbs of boost.

It is a stock engine except for the valve springs and pushrods. It made almost 550hp and 550 torque on the dyno. Ever since I got it tuned it has never made a complete pass down the quarter. It comes into boost then shuts down. This might happen a couple times then it will just stop running but it starts right up!

Anyone else having this kind of problem or do I have a gremlin.

ANY help would be great and any info and feedback on tuners in the area or close by would be a Great Help to me!!!
Old 05-16-2006, 02:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they didnt finish the tune...... I'm pretty sure your problem lies in the engine diag/ calc airflow-p1514 error table, I think I uped mine x 2 but cant remember, that was causing my car to do the same thing when first getting the tune straightened out using a maf, did you take it to somebody who has tuned boosted ls1's before?
Old 05-16-2006, 03:05 AM
Teching In

Yes they are suposed to be very good and have done lots of boost cars. I asked him about it, he looked at the tune that was saved for the car on his laptop and he said he has "no idea everything looked fine so I have no idea where to go from here". He says it will be a time and material thing to fix and I didn't like the sound of that. Now I am unsure of his abilities.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:28 PM
Teching In

anyone have any ideas or recromend a tuner in the chicagoland area I just want to be able to make a complete pass down the quarter and have some fun.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Or does anyone have any input on the fast computer system for the ls1 maybe I should look into that?
Old 05-16-2006, 03:43 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by cgas55
Hello I have a 01 z with a STS turbo on it

I had the car tuned with the mass air and am having lots of hesitation problems where the car shuts down as soon as it comes into boost.
What is an 01 z? Z06 or Z28? The vettes really get nailed with that 1514 table. Doesn't really do anything on most f-bodies.

For your setup I would just run the stock computer with the MAF. You should be at the upper limits of what the MAF can read, but it should tune just fine. Might want to get a new tuner.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its as simple as changing any other table, dont waist your $$, up the #'s in that p1514 error table and all should be fine... is he using hptuners?, get him to email you the tune so we can take a look...
Old 05-16-2006, 05:28 PM
ESR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default .....

He is right you probably are thowing the p0068 code and it causes the car to stall.....you need to max out the p1514 tables in engine diagnostics. For what your running you only need a 2 bar map if you did want to go speed density. The maf should work fine. I used it on my car to 17 psi with no problem untill I changed to the 3 bar.

Originally Posted by Assassin
they didnt finish the tune...... I'm pretty sure your problem lies in the engine diag/ calc airflow-p1514 error table, I think I uped mine x 2 but cant remember, that was causing my car to do the same thing when first getting the tune straightened out using a maf, did you take it to somebody who has tuned boosted ls1's before?
Old 05-16-2006, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Everyone so far I would like to thank you for your insight!!
I will have him email the tune asap. He tuned it using ls1 edit and it is a z/28. As far as the 3 bar map I was wondering due to I am building a 427 stroker engine for later this year that will get about 20 psi through it with afr heads and victor jr intake setup. Altough I might consider the dart block and head setup for the engine but for now it will be a lq9 iron block punched out.