Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks
View Poll Results: How did you have your new wheels/tires balanced and do you have a vibration?
Standard balancing with no detectable vibration present
62.50%
Standard balancing with a vibration present
37.50%
Match mounted/road force balanced with < 30lbs force variance on all tires and no vibration present
0%
Match mounted/road force balanced with > 30lbs force variance on at least one tire and no vibration
0%
Match mounted/road force balanced with < 30lbs force variance on all tires and a vibration present
0%
Match mounted/road force balanced with > 30lbs force variance on at least one tire and a vibration
0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

those of you with 18"+ aftermarket wheels...wheel balancing question for ya

Old 05-16-2006, 08:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question those of you with 18"+ aftermarket wheels...wheel balancing question for ya

Just wondering how many of you have a vibration after installing a new set of rims/tires and if you had them match mounted/road force balanced.

Reason I ask is that I have one rim/tire combo that I can't get a decent (less than 20lbs) road force variance on. The rim is fine, it's just my second tire I have tried and I can't get it to road force balance to my liking. Right now it's at 36lbs and even though it balanced up fine with hardly any weight needed (0.75oz). The Hunter machine keeps telling us to move it around and that it can be OE matched, but when we move it to where it wants it and then try it again it tells us to move it again...

Thing that sucks is that the very FIRST time it was mounted and road force balanced we got a variance of 24lbs and it said that it could be match mounted to decrease the variance. We did that and then it jumped up to like 58lbs! Then after another 4 or 5 times of match mounting we could only get it back down to 36lbs.

I am just trying to get a feel for if I will feel a vibration or not. I can't install it and test drive them because I am re-doing my brakes and also have to wait for my 4th rim to return from iForged seeing it showed up with out of spec radial runout.

Paul

Last edited by JR HAWK 9; 05-16-2006 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No vibration only one of my 4 wheels needed any weight to balance. Other 3 were perfect. My old ZR1's would not balance and were eggs. You could actually see how out of round they were when they were trying to balance them. Bad vibrations about 40 mph. That is why I got new wheels in the first place.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Resident

no one on this board gets their wheels balanced??
Old 05-16-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JR HAWK 9
no one on this board gets their wheels balanced??
Sure lots of folks but lots of folks also work during the day and can't post. You'll get a much better response if you post around 7pm eastern during the week. At least that's what I have found. I'm out of work so I'm on here pretty much all day
Old 05-16-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to be honest and say that I just have always let the tire guys balance/mount my wheels/tires.

I hadn't heard anything about road force balancing until your other post about your new wheels. I assume that since I have never been told it was a special road force balance that all I have ever gotten was your typical balance. I haven't noticed any vibration from any of other sets of wheels but they have always balanced well with few or no weights.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

if you didn't tell them then you more than likely got a standard balance.

I just seem to have really bad luck with rims/tires. Either I get tires that are bad or they develope a bad spot. This is why I get them match mounted and road force balanced. This way if they can get the variance down to an acceptable level than I KNOW I won't have any vibration caused by the rim/tire.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Standard static balance . . . (all stick on wieghts on the inside hoop)

I have high end wheels, but unfortunately crappy heavy tires.

But no vibrations.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

has anyone match mounted and road force balanced their wheels/tires??
Old 05-17-2006, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I do road force, but don't do match mount. I have always had vibrations in my tires on every vehicle I have ever owned. Road force seems to help a little bit. I have just learned to live with it.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
I do road force, but don't do match mount. I have always had vibrations in my tires on every vehicle I have ever owned. Road force seems to help a little bit. I have just learned to live with it.

do you know/remember what your road force variance numbers were?? If you have a vibration AND if it's due to your wheels, then it would have been flagged as excessive road force variation.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

just do an alloy 2 or an alloy and you can have weight mounted on the inside, lose the vibration and still look clean
Old 08-18-2006, 05:31 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Unfortunately, there are no guarantees in balancing. I have personally match mounted and road force tested hundreds of wheels and tires and even when all the numbers are perfect, there can still sometimes be a vibration. Match mounting a wheel and tire can help reduce the amount of weight needed to balance it and to make the assembly, for lack of a better description, as round as possible. The road force test is what is used to tell the balancing technician how best to align the wheel and tire for a matched mount or whether the tire has too much radial run out to be match mounted. It, essentially, can find the high and low spots in the tire. One very important variable when doing a road force test is air pressure. The air pressure must be the same every time you test. If you road force test an assembly and have to turn the tire on the wheel and run the test again, the air pressure must be set the same each time to get an accurate reading. If the Hunter machine is properly calibrated and you are using the same air pressure for each test and the radial run out is consistantly higher than you would like, it might be best to get a different tire. Hope this all makes sense!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: those of you with 18"+ aftermarket wheels...wheel balancing question for ya