Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Breaking in new clutch questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Breaking in new clutch questions...

I just had a Spec 3 installed, and the shop told me to "granny shift" it for about 500 miles to break it in before doing any launches or anything. i've read up on it here on the forum, and I understand that it needs to be broken in properly, or it will exhibit "chatter". My question is this: When I let out the clutch (only from a stop) I get a really bad shudder (feels like i'm gonna break a trans mount) until it starts moving. th only way to keep it from doing this is to start slowly slipping the clutch from about 2500 RPM. Will slipping the clutch like that glaze the surface of the clutch, or will this shudder eventually go away? I've put 250 miles on it (city driving) since the clutch install, and it still does it.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Junkie

kind of common for the spec 3 as it is a puck style clutch. When breaking in my spec 3+ I downshifted when coming to a stop to help break it in. slipping the clutch is not a good thing for breaking in a clutch but as long as you don't do it all the time it probably won't be to bad and most of the chatter will go away. you just have to give it some time. if it is still doing it badly at 750 then something is not right.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

OK thanks, I guess i'll have to live with the shudder when taking off, and don't slip it. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Breaking in new clutch questions...