Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New GM Hydra-Matic 6 speed RWD Planetary Manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New GM Hydra-Matic 6 speed RWD Planetary Manual transmission

http://media.gm.com/division/2004_pr...ary_manual.pdf

It has an eighth position on the gear selector labled P?
Someone said it might be a parking gear so the car can have a remote start.
They also mentioned the transmission case is shared with the auto tranny, so it might be heavier, but also stronger.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:51 PM
12 Second Club

I had seen this, but I'm still not sure on what all it'll entail...
Old 05-16-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any more info on this would be awesome!
I have never seen this and would like to learn all there is about this tranny.
What is a dry clutch? and how is a plantery tranny different than a 'regular' manual?
And most importantly, will this make it into the new Camaro for '09?
Old 05-17-2006, 01:54 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

From a design and manufacturing point of view, this tranny has a lot of advantages in that it is a manual variant of an automatic gearbox. It probably shares about a 70% parts commonality with the automatic versions. The reports that I've read on the new 6LXXE gearboxes states that they are of a modular design. This manual version probably uses a lot of the same modules and would allow continuous mixed model production on the same assembly line. Spare parts stocking is minimized at both the manufacturer, warehouses and dealers. This gearbox probably gives up some weight and packaging benefits when compared to a purely manual design. However, overall it may be a better design.

Steve
Old 05-17-2006, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Looks like the GM number crunchers are at it again. After all, it's cheaper to design and make parts that both manual and auto trannies alike can use. But GM didn't do it for us consumers guys. They did it to skimp and save money on potentially hundreds of thousands of transmission parts. They are driven to make money, not driven to innovate and make their products better for us. Sorry to say it, but, that's just the way it is.
Anyway, enough mini-rant. If you thought a T-56 was expensive to fix, just wait for the bill on this puppy when it's out of warranty when it needs fixin.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 05-19-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

while i agree with Keysplayr on GMs why... i'll hold off on judging the trans itself until its out.. planetary gearsets can easily be very strong, and judging from GMs predicted future V8s, this might be a really strong transmission.....
Old 05-20-2006, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll have to admit there's nothing stronger than a planetary. Just look at Lenko. It's used in Pro Stock and NHRA Alcohol Funny Cars and Dragsters. Top Fuel would use it too, but they make so much horsepower they don't even need a transmission
Old 05-24-2006, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

Planetary gears are the strongest. Also if most of the parts are shared, replacement parts will be cheaper since they will be more common and less varied. Also since it is modular labor will be cheaper too since the whole thing does not need to come apart. Not to mention I am betting there are significantly less parts in these units too then the current transmisions. Seems to me they are thinking of the consumer as well as their own well being. I would put one of these in to replace my T-56.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make no mistake this is an automatic. It allows some manual selection( limited) but it is a hydraulic/ torque converter slush box.You can bet it has an upcharge to any prior transmissions used, bar none.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by calhoon
Make no mistake this is an automatic. It allows some manual selection( limited) but it is a hydraulic/ torque converter slush box.You can bet it has an upcharge to any prior transmissions used, bar none.
where do you get this info from?
Old 05-24-2006, 03:11 PM
11 Second Club

The pdf posted says dry clutch.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BADSZ28
The pdf posted says dry clutch.
and it says mechanical linkage.

and if it was a automatic in a manual mode, it would be....... the exact same thing as a normal automatic, with a diffrent piece of software controlling it..

thats why im asking for his source.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

The 6 speed paddle shift in the new corvette is the base archetecture= an automatic trans. If you read between the lines of that 1 pager it hints that it is fully manual( synchros and mechanical linkage) but based on the planetary gearsets of the automatic. You tell me how this is even possible.Changing to a fully synchronized gear change , with a fully mechanical linkage( rails , levers.forks and synchro sleeves/hubs) AND still using the planetary gearset from the automatic? There is somthing REALLY missing from that statement/ design.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Keysplayr
Looks like the GM number crunchers are at it again. After all, it's cheaper to design and make parts that both manual and auto trannies alike can use. But GM didn't do it for us consumers guys. They did it to skimp and save money on potentially hundreds of thousands of transmission parts. They are driven to make money, not driven to innovate and make their products better for us. Sorry to say it, but, that's just the way it is.
Anyway, enough mini-rant. If you thought a T-56 was expensive to fix, just wait for the bill on this puppy when it's out of warranty when it needs fixin.

Actually if they are making more parts as both trans use the same parts it would be cheaper.

Futher, I hate it when Americans blame coporations for making things cheaper. CONSUMERS look for the cheapest stuff in the market and there is no longer customer loyality in the auto market. With Asian cars in the mix GM would die if they didn't make things cheaper.

This is bullshit.

It is everyone's fault that things aren't made well. It is all of our decisions that say we want the absolute cheapest product that have driven society to be a plastic, throw away market.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

...it hints that it is fully manual( synchros and mechanical linkage) but based on the planetary gearsets of the automatic. You tell me how this is even possible...
well for a excellent example of a modular transmission that is full manual with planetary gearsets, look no further then a clutch driven lenco.

a fully mechanical linkage( rails , levers.forks and synchro sleeves/hubs) AND still using the planetary gearset from the automatic? There is somthing REALLY missing from that statement/ design.
yes. there is. the part that is incorrect is between two parenthesis.... nowhere in there did it say anything about rails, levers, forks or conventional syncros. believe it or not, its entirely possible to design a transmission that looks nothing like a conventional transmission. since we know this is a unconventional one, based off the fact that we know it uses planetary gears, its not a far leap to expect the entire trans to be different.

what we do know are simple facts in there.. such as:
A manual transmission that uses a dry
input clutch and a planetary geartrain

but you're just throwing out there that "it is a hydraulic/ torque converter slush box.".

you have no fact basis, yet you state it as fact. while i cant say its clearly a standard cluch from that 1 page pseudo-report.. we can clearly tell that it does not say anything about using a torque converter.. and most likely (this is an assumption) the entire reason the clutch and mechanical linkage is mentioned is to explicitly dispel the myth that this is a auto trans.

my main point of this reply is: dont state your opinion as a fact.

all that said, we're both still playing the wait and see game.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I can stste that I fully understand the inner workings of both auto and manual boxes so I have not discarded the notion lightly.
Please do not hold the layout of a lenco as a marvel of anykind.
What is it you would define as a mechanical linkage? merely a ****?And while it is certainly possible to produce a clean sheet of paper/ all new design that marries the two drive workings, I do not buy it. I base this on opinion laced with nearly 30 years of drivetrain knowledge.Find fault with that as you will . What is it you base your debate on?
The date on the fact sheet is 2004.Seems odd that they have not gotten any word or progress out since that time. I think this is a wish list description or a forgery and has no connection to fact or GM.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Junkie

What is it you would define as a mechanical linkage? merely a ****?
i would define it as something other then a electromechanical or hydraulic linkage.. aka, no shift noids or valves. no switches, but the mechanical force of moving the lever moves the transmission internals. however, i think they would go by engineering terms, and they arnt as liberal about what constitutes mechanical as my opinion is.

What is it you base your debate on?
the facts presented, and any additional facts with sources. if you could give me a book, press release, tech manual, any credible source that stated it used a torque converter, i would thank you for clarifying. instead, you base it off personal experience to form your opinion (no matter how experienced you are, or right you may be, its still a opinion) and you state it as fact.
there is no debate.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

I would like to see if this ever does get released.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Veteran

They have already built test units. It is going to come out soon. The GM 5 speed is already out.

Quick Reply: New GM Hydra-Matic 6 speed RWD Planetary Manual transmission