Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tci 3000 what should i do buy it or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 08:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tci 3000 what should i do buy it or not?

i was looking into buying the tci 3000 http://store.summitracing.com/partd...15&autoview=sku

for my 98 z28 a4 with 2.73, the only reason im looking into tci is because my dad said he will go in half with me on a stall but it has to be from summit, thats the only problem i talked to john at fuddle about a stall and he said if i were to stay with the 2.73s and adding a nos dry kit this summer. he said "John Cameron wrote: For using the stock cam, and considering the need to keep streetability good, I recommend going to a 3400 stall speed. We offer a 3400 (2.1 STR).

but then i asked if i were to go with 3.73s and still spray he said go with a "John Cameron <jfuddle@msn.com> wrote: Rob, With the 3.73's you could go higher and still keep good streetability. Going higher can help you get better power, but your traction will will not as good as with the lower stall. Depending on what you want out of the converter, I would say 3400 for street use first and 3600 if you want more power.

and then i told him what i wanted to do with it in short term see i wanna be able to drive it almost everyday and be able to come out the hole hard when playing with 5.0s and imports but still when driven it make people think its just a ls1 then yank out the hole like a bat out of hell, and every once in a while spray if needed.
he said

I would say go with the 3600 then. You will be able to daily drive it, and it will give you a little more power.

but all i seen so far in summit was tci and b&m, and i called b&m today and the guy said that with my 2.73 gear a 2500 stall would handle it and i said well my stocker is right around that if not 2500 itself and he had nothing to say just that it wasnt a stock stall i would be buying from b&m.

im so confused on what stall to run right now i know if i go summit my dad already said he will go half with me because he wants to help me mod it, being my first car that i bought and modded with my money he wants to help, although i have a 89 firebird that he modded his self.

i read everything on the tci that everyone has posted in this thread but still dont know what to do, should i go with a tci or just leave my stock verter in???
see the thing im faceing is i can order this tci stall from summit right now, but if it isnt as good everyone is saying than should i order gears or what. i what to go stall first a 3000 with my 2.73 will be good, but i dont want to order it put it on and hurt my trans and it then have to buy a trans and another stall down the road if getting a fuddle like i would rather do would stop from killin my trans or hurting something, then i would rather save the money and get the fuddle but if the tci is good then i would like to go with it

can anyone help me out because im clueless right now.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:44 PM
FormerVendor

Rob,
You are right on target with the 3000 converter. You won't have any problems with the TCI converter. I would recommend doing a gear swap. It will lower your ET and improve your car's driveability as well. That being said, I've seen several 2.73 geared LS1 cars drop 7-8 tenths with our 3000 stall converter and a set of sticky tires.
Kevin
Old 05-16-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

I did a load of research before I bought mine. I sat on here for a good 3 months before ordering so I knew exactly what I was getting and exactly what to expect. I think I ended up with the perfect choice for me. I went with a 3600. It gives me good street driveability and great performance when I want it.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:44 PM
10 Second Club

now runing a stall i should run a trans cooler right just to be safe? and what would i need to delete or modify the torque managment, if i delete it will it be better with the stall or doesnt matter im just trying to find out the stuff that i should do like the torgue managment thing i never heard of it till tonite when i was searching the site and looking throu some noobie stuff that jrp had for the noobies to read and look over before going crazy and posting. but is there anything other than the torque managment that i should read up on more to get a basic feel for before getting more mods?
Old 05-17-2006, 04:41 AM
10 Second Club

does anyone know what i would use to delete torque manament with??
Old 05-17-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1edit can remove it. Any good tuner should be able to also. I think most would reccomend a tune when getting a new converter, so you could do it at that point. As far as should you remove it, you should talk to your tuner, and who you buy the converter from. If my car had a 4L60E, I would remove it. However, some others would not remove it. Keep in mind that the LT1 cars did not come with it, and they seem to be running fine without it

And please please please please do not get a new converter without a cooler. Some people have gotten away with it somehow, but I doubt anybody would actually reccomend going without one. It's sort of like going skydiving without a parachute

Also, Fuddle converters have a hell of a warranty on them. I don't know what kind of warranty Summit can offer you, them being the middle man on your purchase and all
Old 05-17-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your dad is a true greazer, if you take the time to study up on things and pitch the solution you want, I'd think most Dad's would be impressed by that and be pretty happy to see thier kid taking the purchase so seriously.

Unless he has summit bucks or something.

Just saying, anything worth doing, is worth doing right. If you are on a tight budget make sure to consider the costs of tuning and a cooler.

It's also popular to add a shift kit at the same time.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:12 PM
10 Second Club

my dad is a old detroit dragway racer from the late 70s-80s, when i was able to go with him to the track i would be there i been raised at the track then before we moved to pa he sold his 69 ss camaro 427 l88.
he said he would go inhalf with me on the mods i need because he said back when he raced everything was alot cheaper
Old 05-17-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have the tci 3000 verter and am very happy with it.
it alone dropped .6 tenths from my track times.
get a trans oil cooler and i would and did get a shift kit.
TM can and should be deleted.
the above t/c drives alot like stock and gives great performance.
also the tci 3500 is also a great converter and i should of got that one.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:40 AM
TECH Junkie

3000 Is Pretty Wimpy Id Go 3500
Old 05-19-2006, 01:45 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

It's a great converter, especially if you drive your car daily in town. I really like mine.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jpr5690
3000 Is Pretty Wimpy Id Go 3500
not everybody wants to drive in big city traffic with a big loose converter.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:18 AM
TECH Junkie

just get a higher str and it will be tight also get a good cooler and fan switch my temps dont get above 175 no matter what i do (but i have 2 coolers)
Old 05-20-2006, 06:31 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
It's a great converter, especially if you drive your car daily in town. I really like mine.
Agreed but I am trying a 3500 when I order my FLT trans
Old 05-20-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jpr5690
just get a higher str and it will be tight also get a good cooler and fan switch my temps dont get above 175 no matter what i do (but i have 2 coolers)
to high of a str isnt good for the street either.
its gonna hit to hard when you stab it.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

The best advice I can offer you is to NOT base your mod decisions on how much cash you have right NOW. You will regret every decision you ever make based on this flawed philosphy. It is part of growing up- learning to hold yer wad There are trade offs to every set up. Get realistic about what goals you have in mind and the answers will be obvious as long as you bear in mind that there always will be somebody with more cash, faster car, hotter chick you name it. This is a muscle car you are talking about. In most instances they are not the best choice for a daily driver for a multitude of reasons most importantly in my mind they shouldn't be treated to a life of a beater- that is just a shame. Just my .02
Old 05-21-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well a 3000 is a big improvement over stock, but if they have the TCI SSF 3500 i'd definatly go with that. I wish I had a camera and knew how to post up a vid because i'd get a vid of the RPM's some normal street driving with my Yank SS3800 and hopefully show people it's not as bad as they might think even with a 3800. I honestly didn't like mine at first, but after I got used to it and adjusted my driving habits it seems normal to me now.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:32 PM
Banned

Factory Stall (1900)
Even a 2800 will give you a half second difference.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

pm'ed you
Old 05-22-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Regular

Go with the 3500 and have some fun this summer. I almost wish I would have gotten my stall before I got my gears. When you get the need to go faster, then get some gears and a set of tires when you get the more money.

Quick Reply: tci 3000 what should i do buy it or not?