Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: Whats the best block for a 600hp turbo build?
LT1 Iron block
4.69%
LS6 block
15.63%
6.0 Iron block
65.63%
Other, (please explain)
14.06%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Best turbo block?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 12:11 AM
Tech Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll: Best turbo block?

Here's the deal, my camaro is tons of fun, but its starting to turn into a one trick pony. And I really can't see liveing with it as a daily driver for more than a few years, so...

I want to start building an engine, learning as I go, over several years as money and time permits.

I'm looking for 600+ hp without N20, and I want it to run on pump gas, and be decently streetable, so I figure am adjustable boost turbo settup is the way to go.

So my first question is: What block will be the most reliable/easy/cheapest to build?

BTW... The engine will probibly find its way into a B-Body eventualy.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well you know this is the wrong section

my boss is making almost 1000hp on pump gas on his stock ls6 block and crank

its all in the pistons and rods
Old 05-17-2006, 12:32 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by camaroextra
well you know this is the wrong section
Yeah I know I should have put it in the FI section, brain fart on my part.

Mods feel free to move this one.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Moved. Also, I would go with the ls6. Not making enough power for the 'need' to run an iron block. Also, no need to go bigger than 346ci if you are wanting to make only (haha) 600rwhp. It should be as reliable as any fi motor can be. Just make sure you have a good tune and lots of fuel.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bigger engines will spool the turbo faster and put out more torque off boost.This can be a good thing as you lower compression usually in turbo motors so they lose a bit down low off boost.
Having the turbo spool faster can make it hard to get traction so its not always good but then you can go up to bigger turbos,make more power and still not have that bad lag.
I plan on doing up a 6.0 iron.They are strong as hell ,blocks are pretty cheap. I can sell my current ls1 I figure for enough to build up a 6.0 402 bottom end with really good forged parts.It adds a bit of weight to front of car but can compensate with battery reloctation to rear and mabye a few other tricks,its not a huge difference in weight.
The point here is guys have made good power on stock ls1 or ls6 blocks with stock cranks and forged rods and pistons and good bolts/studs. You can do it cheaper and at 500rwhp even 600rwhp likely be fine.

I am an overkill kind of guy so think do it up to once and do it up serious.Then know that the engine won't be a limiting factor or weak link in my chain. But I am thinking over 1000rwhp on occasion and even if never use it the potential of that power level is enough to send chills of fear up the spines of my local f body club members that think 400rwhp is huge power.
In reality I doubt you can hook up my past 500 rwhp on the street on nittos or et street radials.I have nittos,might have to run some et street radials.
You can also go basic 6.0 iron block like car on gmrspeed site.
Its very basic..forged pistons,rods and stock crank,stock 6.0 heads,mellow think ls6 cam and it puts out over 720rwhp on a conservative pig rich tune of 10 to 1 with around 17psi think it was on pump gas. Not too shabby.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:28 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
You can also go basic 6.0 iron block like car on gmrspeed site.
Its very basic..forged pistons,rods and stock crank,stock 6.0 heads,mellow think ls6 cam and it puts out over 720rwhp on a conservative pig rich tune of 10 to 1 with around 17psi think it was on pump gas. Not too shabby.
Yeah thats kinda what I was thinking, nothing too exotic, useing stock parts whenever posible to keep costs down.

I guess my real question is: If I'm going to pick up a block to build, shouldn't I pick up an Iron block just because? Its not like weight is going to be a factor in this plan.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

c5r or world products mmmm my dream fi motor haha