Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb. Vs. LS6 intake on LS1...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 01:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carb. Vs. LS6 intake on LS1...

i am about to build a 6.0 block and its either buy a ls6 intake or try something new and go carb... just seeing what people's experience's with carb'd ls1's are vs fuel injected... thanks...

-Tommy
Old 05-17-2006, 02:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i saw a test ona dyno the carb makes more hp on near stock but idk what it would be like after alot of mods or if the carb will even fit under your hood...
Old 05-17-2006, 04:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^ i'm interested in knowing too, but it would prolly be beneficial to see more than just peak numbers... and also compare a ls6 intake with proper tuning to a carb setup, as i'm sure with a carb setup u need to have a custom tune...
Old 05-17-2006, 05:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Carb is old and outdated. EFI and so much better and more refined. Also it allows for better tuning for streetability and you can have awesome performance for track all in one.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Justin00SS
Carb is old and outdated. EFI and so much better and more refined. Also it allows for better tuning for streetability and you can have awesome performance for track all in one.

pushrod,2v and single cam is outdated too but still makes so much power.

My point is, do what ever rocks your boat as long as it meet the power goals you are planing to have.

But I would go EFI over carb.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

GM Performance sell a carb conversion kit for the LS1, plus there's some other aftermarekt setups also.

However it's not how the LS1 compares with each as the LS1 works the same as any other internal combustion engine. So it's the same old Carb vs fuel injection battle as it's always been.

On the whole you can make great power with the carb setup and match most EFI setups, however you can never fine tune a carb setup the same as EFI because you simply don't have the same level of control. This means EFI is generally more hassle free and certainly more economical.

The only reason I'd go carb is on an engine swap into another vehicle (older Fbody, hot rod, etc.) as it would make the wiring a lot easier, also it would be more in keeping with older muscle cars.

Personally I can see no gain (aside from being different) over EFI in a 4th gen Fbody.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

efi is better in alot of ways, if your lazy, or dont know how to tune a carb, or care about gas mileage... anyone who knows about how the venturi effect works and better fuel atomization of carbs knows you can get more hp out of a carb, and a cooler intake, for the same setup , you'll just hafto tune it everyday where as the efi does it itself.. depends what car it was though if your talking third gen camaros you can beat a carb on the small blocks.. ls1 engines; i wouldnt want anything other then efi..
Old 05-18-2006, 03:59 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

carbed 6.0 longblock here with a futral cam.
18mpg with a th350 and it will run low 11's in the 1/4 if i can ever get it there.
383hp/418tq

its a hot rod, so milage is the least of my worries.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:28 PM
Banned

A carb'd LSx will never make as much power as a perfectly tuned (air/fuel ratio, spark advance) EFI engine done by a skilled person on a chassis dyno.

The a/f ratio on a carb will never be pinpoint perfect compared to the EFI engine.

Unless the engine is going in a circle track car or old school muscle, I'd keep the EFI and get a good tuner to work some magic. ~Joshua
Old 05-18-2006, 04:36 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
A carb'd LSx will never make as much power as a perfectly tuned (air/fuel ratio, spark advance) EFI engine done by a skilled person on a chassis dyno.

The a/f ratio on a carb will never be pinpoint perfect compared to the EFI engine.

Unless the engine is going in a circle track car or old school muscle, I'd keep the EFI and get a good tuner to work some magic. ~Joshua

This is ESPECIALLY true considering you live in Houston. If you brought a carb into MTI or HPE, you'd get kicked in the nuts. If you lived in Alaska next door to Barry Grant, a carb setup might actually work best for you.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:50 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

i cruise down the road at 15.x, idle is a constant 16.x1 and WOT never deviates from 12.8-12.9

sure its never gonna be perfect, but neither is efi.
some guys are good with a screwdriver, others with a keyboard.
efi all the way for the daily driver, but carbs can be made to work very well with lil effort.

its kinda like a type writer and a computer/printer. just newer technology. both work.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:00 AM
TECH Resident

the car will not be daily driven at all... its a project car. i am just faced with the decision of ls6 or possibly carb... basically it will only be driven for racing... streetability does not matter... my only question was is there more power to be made with a carbed 6.0 block vs efi... because i have no idea... thanks for the input so far...

-Tommy
Old 05-23-2006, 05:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by s.o.m.SS
the car will not be daily driven at all... its a project car. i am just faced with the decision of ls6 or possibly carb... basically it will only be driven for racing... streetability does not matter... my only question was is there more power to be made with a carbed 6.0 block vs efi... because i have no idea... thanks for the input so far...

-Tommy
The power difference is negligible IMO. Engine Masters did an article on the GM Performance parts carb kit, I think it was within 2HP of the EFI setup and slightly more torque (or something like that, I can't find the article any longer).

Unless you've got a real specific need and are pushing to the very limits then it's just a lot easier to stick with the factory EFI setup. Carbs do look good though...

Also if you ever plan on FI EFI is generally easier than carb.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

just do a sheetmetal intake tommy, havent talked to you in a while where you been? good luck with the project
Old 05-23-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

i think edelbrock makes an ls1 intake for carbs.. im sure if it was port matched to the heads with a good flowing carb you would make some pretty good numbers but youll have a hard time finding someone to agree that its better than FI.. why not PM one of our tuners on here like someone from texas speed or slowhawk
Old 05-24-2006, 12:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not just get the carb style efi intake like a Victor Jr. EFI piece.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Tune the Carb with a wideband, just like you would EFI. At least you'll be able to see which way your A/F needs to go. When you get to the strip, tune for the highest MPH. Should be a good learning experience.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you are building a quarter mile car then a carb will do alright (tuned to do one thing). But as has been said already, it's no match for a properly tuned fuel injection system for anything else.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

carb equals gas guzzler....but there not hard to tune....love my efi though
Old 05-24-2006, 01:00 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Why not just get the carb style efi intake like a Victor Jr. EFI piece.
I was wondering why no one had brought that up. The flow of a carb stye intake, w/ the tuning ability of EFI. It will probably move your power range up considerably in the RPM's. That may or may not be a good thing depending on what you want.

Quick Reply: Carb. Vs. LS6 intake on LS1...