Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 09:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

Ok, I was storing my Hawk for the winter and forgot to disconnect the battery. The battery slowly died because I was not able to start it up for several months because I was away at college.

So now I am tryin to get it back into running condition and I have a charger currently hooked up to the completely dead battery.

Right now, my problem is the motor for the flip up lights...I heard that jumpstarting the engine will burn out this motor, so I need to unhook it first....or somthing to that extent..

When I swich the battery charger to 'Quick Start' instead of charge everything does power up, but the motor for the headlights also makes an ugly click/thudding sound....so it is believable that I could do some damage to the light motor...

Soooo, I really just need to know what I need to in order to get this car running again, without ruining anything.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

sounds like a stripped out motor gear. There is a guy that sells brass gears for these so that you wont have to deal with stripped gears again.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:02 AM
Launching!

well, no, nothing is wrong...yet

I wanted to know if I need to disconnect the headlight motor before i try to jumpstart the car. So I dont actually do any damage. Or if there is anything else i need to do before starting it..
Old 05-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Launching!

please help
Old 05-17-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haven't heard of that before. If you don't want to take a chance look for a fuse for the motor you can pull, or wait until the battery is fully charged and disconnect the charger. The idle is going to be "grumpy" at first too, along with all the readiness tests being reset - no big deal, it'll relearn after putting some miles on it. You'll also might have "LOC" on the radio.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

from my experience when the battery is powered/hooked up on some cars the headlight motors pull down on the lights until they hit the stop and shut off like they normally do and starting a car with to low of a battery will cause them to flutter(best word I could think of) so like 2001nbmz28 said just wait unytil the battery is fully charged you could also unhook the battery from the car until it is fully charged if that would give you piece of mind
Old 05-17-2006, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Take the battery out of the car, charge it, then take it to almost any place that sells car batteries and they will test it for you for free. Usually when a battery loses all of its charge it can't be brought back. The test will tell you its condition and if it is serviceable or not. If it tests good and will hold a charge then put it back in the car and use it to start the car instead of trying to jumpstart it. Good luck.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:30 AM
Launching!

alright thanks, you guys answered all my questions
Old 05-19-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jump starting "shouldn't" affect the headlight motors. At least I haven't seen it.

If the battery is completely dead. I'd hook a charger to it instead on just jumping it.