Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Figured out my exhaust isn't stock after all...

Old 05-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Figured out my exhaust isn't stock after all...

Yep, it's got a Flowmaster three chamber (80series?) welded in place of the original muffler. Thing is, I like the way it sounds, it doesn't drone, it's not raspy, and it's nice and mellow. Just needs tips and it would look great. The stock ones are, well, stock. I was thinking about getting exhaust but now i'm thinking i'm keeping it the way it is. Anyone else with something like this? Power?

Jon
Old 05-17-2006, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jon B.
Yep, it's got a Flowmaster three chamber (80series?) welded in place of the original muffler. Thing is, I like the way it sounds, it doesn't drone, it's not raspy, and it's nice and mellow. Just needs tips and it would look great. The stock ones are, well, stock. I was thinking about getting exhaust but now i'm thinking i'm keeping it the way it is. Anyone else with something like this? Power?

Jon
It will decrease power output. Flowmasters are known for this, but if you like the sound keep it. Just get an electric cut-out, and you will be fine.

Ben T.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have had same setup as you for around 6 months.
I felt no gains when I put muffler on nor losses just change in exhaust note. I myself liked it at first but I grew tired of it and am now changing it.

The muffler it self is in good shape it didn't change my tastes did. I had alot of drone, oddly enough. Maybe we just consider differnt amounts "dronin"

If you like it more power to you but its meh at best i'd say and you might grow tired of it, might not. Bottom line its your car do as you please.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Studytime
It will decrease power output. Flowmasters are known for this, but if you like the sound keep it. Just get an electric cut-out, and you will be fine.

Ben T.
I keep seeing this but only vs other aftermarket systems, not once vs stock.

Does anyone have proof it'll hurt a stock setup??
Old 05-17-2006, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
I keep seeing this but only vs other aftermarket systems, not once vs stock.

Does anyone have proof it'll hurt a stock setup??
This comment was based on two things,

A buddy picked up 40 rwhp by dropping his flowmaster on a chassis dyno. This was in a roller-cammed, AFR 383 in an '88 Firebird. He couldn't tell a difference on the street, but the proof was in the dyno graph.

Other point, all of my friends that work at shops with a chassis dyno claim that they consistantly see Flowmaster mufflers set customers back in the wrong direction (hp losses) on LTx/LSx cars.

So, I try to steer people clear of Flowmasters unless they are just buying them for the sound.

Ben T.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

This comment was based on two things,

A buddy picked up 40 rwhp by dropping his flowmaster on a chassis dyno. This was in a roller-cammed, AFR 383 in an '88 Firebird. He couldn't tell a difference on the street, but the proof was in the dyno graph.

Other point, all of my friends that work at shops with a chassis dyno claim that they consistantly see Flowmaster mufflers set customers back in the wrong direction (hp losses) on LTx/LSx cars.

So, I try to steer people clear of Flowmasters unless they are just buying them for the sound.

Ben T.
Ben,
No offence meant but this is all I hear is heresay, nothing more, the only proof I've seen: Flowmaster makes less then other catbacks graph was on this site infact.

40 horsepower you didn't feel I find hard to belive, maybe all in where he didn't use it in the street? What was it changed to?

I'm the kind of person who can't ride the wagon I need to see proof, and so far best i've found or seen is flowmaster is sucky for aftermarket but atleast as good as stock if not a tad better.

Don't mean to be a jerk of a Flowmaster Swinger, as i'm not happy with mine anymore. I just want real graphs of it vs stock and no ones been able to show them as of yet but they trash it quite fast.

I just want to know what i'm missing .
Old 05-17-2006, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
Ben,
No offence meant but this is all I hear is heresay, nothing more.
That's a heck of a way to start a response and then ask me to elaborate.

Good luck.

Ben T.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's a heck of a way to start a response and then ask me to elaborate.

Good luck.

Ben T.
You gave nothing but heresay did you?

I'm not being rude, I could be a dick if you rather, but thats not what how one learns or ends up looking favorable.

I just asked for graphs.

You made a pretty wild claim that you didn't back and gave heresay, I just asked for graphs as nicly as I could.

I still would like to see proof more then what your buddies say I don't think that is a wild demand at all.

Sorry if I came off rude but i'm just looking to learn.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flowmaster is better than the stock catback. While you may only gain 4-5 horses, you will not lose power. Like everyone has read here, pretty much every other aftermarket catback outperforms the flowmaster.....but the stock z28 and SS (non-slp dual/dual) exhaust ain't one of them. If I remember right, Horsepower TV (I know, not the best reference in the world) did a dyno pull a while back before and after installing a flowmaster catback on their 98 "ls gun" and picked up less than 10 hp from it.....don't remember exact #'s but it definitely didn't go down.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to spend money on tips and a cut out, it would be cheaper and easier to replace the whole system with a Magnaflow or Hooker. Both of which have been proven to work well wih over 400HP.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

How doesn't one feel a 40 rwhp difference?

Now, not all Flowmasters are bad. Yes, the crossflow design sucks. But the single in/out Flowmasters make great mufflers for true dual setups
Old 05-17-2006, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Strahley
Now, not all Flowmasters are bad. Yes, the crossflow design sucks. But the single in/out Flowmasters make great mufflers for true dual setups
Exactly. My friends Mustang gained power over Dynomax Ultra Flows(before they were called "welded"). This isn't the catback, the guy I bought it from just wanted the muffler. If I were to buy a catback it would be a flowthrough design, like the ones that everyone likes here. I'll go to something like that eventually, because with setup i'm going to leave quite a few ponies on the table with the Turbo setup i'm getting later. I just spent about $2k on the car and exhaust didn't make the cut. We'll see how long this setup lasts.

Jon
Old 05-18-2006, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

i have a flowmaster was just a muffler also when i bought my car and it sounded wonderful no drone no rasp smooth mellow agressive sound. with my new LT's and ORY its shitty and im switching to hooker one i got the cash
Old 05-18-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Well as we all know.. its the power under the curve.. it may have added 40 rwhp at 6k rpm.. I dont know.. just guessing but perhaps it didnt add much tq maybe only 10? So he might notice a coupel mph differe in trap speed but might n ot feel any different.

shrugs. still no graphs? maybe try askign in the dyno queen forums surely someone might have it in htere.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

belive it or not i bout my car used and always wondered why they pipes we cut off after the muffler, and i kinda new it wasnt stock because of the drone on the highway. then one mornig i just so happen to look under and it said FlowMaster shook my head and said piece of ****.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

my friend has a flowmaster on his 96 z28 and imho it sounds like *** on these cars. he runs a cutout though, so when hes not just cruising, he takes the plate off and tears ***. if i were u, i'd get a magnaflow or an slp loudmouth exhaust used for a good price from someone here. the slp loudmouth will be quite loud for a catback but sounds pretty good and is the best "bang for your buck".
Old 05-21-2006, 01:37 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cut outs should not even come with block off plates and wing nuts...just my thoughts though.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:11 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

My friend has a Flowmaster on his 00 T/A. It's probably a 80 series as it's longer than other FM's I've seen. It sounds mellow, deep and rich, and quieter than my GMMG. The sound is much more muffled than mine, which tells me it is probably eating up some hp ... JMHO.

Search this Thread