Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What could be used to quiet down a true dual setup?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What could be used to quiet down a true dual setup?

I'm currently running a true dual setup (H pipe and single chamber flowmasters) and I'm happy with the sound of it, but would like to modify the current sound it's producing

Firstly, I'd like to get rid of that "Flowmaster sound" it creates at about 2400 or so RPM. It's not the normal raspy Y-pipe sound, but I can tell it's there. Sounds kinda hollow

Second, I'd like to quiet the duals down a tad. I love how it sounds, so I don't want to lose that...just want it a lil quieter. It's too unique of a sound (for an LS1 at least) to give up

I was considering a couple of options. Throwing on some cheap cats was one idea, throwing on one bullet on each side was another. I don't want to add two more full sized mufflers to the setup, I'd rather add something that is small

I've only heard one car with bullets before, but it was on factory manifolds, not any kind of headers, so I don't really know what to expect with bullets. I've read here that bullets produce a deep sound, but I'd like comments from guys & gals who run them with headers. Or, does anyone have any ideas on what I could use to quiet it down a little bit, and possibly lose the "Flowmaster sound" at ~2400 rpm?
Old 05-17-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

First of all you will not get rid of that sound at 2400. Its inherent with the LS1 and I dont care what people say. Some setups hide it more than others. My duals barely had it dumped. I ran them out the back and it rasped like a **** at 2400-2800 under a load. Same exhaust just added some pipes off the end.

The quietest mufflers that will fit easily are gonna be the spiral flows by far. The bullets are gonna be the loudest.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

My old duals setup (Flowtech Raptors) hid that noise very very well. I guess I got spoiled by how quiet that setup was

Are those spiral flows pretty quiet by themselves? This is going to have the exhaust passing through both whatever I add in there, and the single chambers. I don't really want the ehxuast to be chocked off by whatever addition I make, since that would make having the single chambers in there pointless
Old 05-18-2006, 01:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

spiral flows are all you will need, they are very tame at part throttle
Old 05-18-2006, 07:24 AM
11 Second Club

Spiral Flows are AWESOME!
Old 05-18-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll have to try those out then. It'll be interesting to see how a spiral flow / single chamber flowmaster sound together
Old 05-18-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the flo-pro twisters and love them. No rasp... but alot of drone.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:49 PM
Launching!

Instead of turndowns, point them out to the side of the car. It makes a huge difference inside the car.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:51 AM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

If you wanna change mufflers, you could try a pair of Magnaflows... I've heard lots of people running them asking how to make their duals louder.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:33 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used 3" magnaflow cats from ebay in my TD system, they are about $55 a piece. You can hack the slipfits off each end which makes them about 9" long. After this, you can butt-weld them pretty much anywhere in the system.

I have pics in my sig.

Quick Reply: What could be used to quiet down a true dual setup?