Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shipping a bare LSx Block...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shipping a bare LSx Block...

What's the best method you guys have found to ship one? I spoke with Steve @ RED and he mentioned Grainger sold a specific container. I couldn't find it on their website and it's probably a moot point if they won't sell to the general public.

I suppose I could go to Home Depot and grab some wood but figured I would ask if there was an easy solution first. With a block weight of 90 LBS or so, I could *probably* ship it via Fedex ground. It needs to make it across the country in one piece though.

Any help would be appreciated,

Ryan
Old 05-18-2006, 08:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Go to the nearest freight dock that big trucks deliver to. They've always got pallet's sitting around, and I'm sure they'd let you have one. Bolt it to the pallet and then cover it with that clear plastic shrink wrap.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could get fancy and get a stand from SDPC ~$38 shipped. Bolt the block to that and then bolt the stand to the pallet. It won't move at all. Then wrap it or build a box around it. But the box is probably overkill for just a bare block.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered a new LS2 bare block and it came on UPS and was in a wooden crate
Old 05-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Launching!

I shipped a block on a wooden pallet, I wrapped the block in cardboard, and get some nylon lashing straps from harbor freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40063
Old 05-18-2006, 11:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default shipping

I forgot to mention when you called that Rubbermaid makes a plastic container large enough to ship the block in. I have a couple here and looked for a part number but there is none. It is light blue in color with Rubbermaid Roughneck molded on the cover. It is pretty inexpensive and works fine to ship a block prior to machining. You do need to drill some holes through the flange to nylon tie wrap the top on along with some glass fiber tape. Put cardboard around the block to protect it from dings.

These work much better than a light wooden crate. The heavier crate that GM uses is too heavy to ship via Fed Ex Ground or UPS. Weight ends up over 150 lbs. and neither will take it - I've been through this. You then have to ship via truck which ups the price consideably.

I always use the Grainger containers for return shipping a finished block. Grainger part number is 3FY68 at around $50 including tax and shipping. You just reminded me to place an order for more!

Steve

Originally Posted by ryan23
What's the best method you guys have found to ship one? I spoke with Steve @ RED and he mentioned Grainger sold a specific container. I couldn't find it on their website and it's probably a moot point if they won't sell to the general public.

I suppose I could go to Home Depot and grab some wood but figured I would ask if there was an easy solution first. With a block weight of 90 LBS or so, I could *probably* ship it via Fedex ground. It needs to make it across the country in one piece though.

Any help would be appreciated,

Ryan
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 05-18-2006, 02:15 PM
Launching!

^^^^ good idea
Old 05-18-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always built wooden boxes, but I always use truck frieght also. I also have all the saws and nail guns to whip one out in about 30 minutes. Garunteed to be the hardest package ever to open, but the block is safe and sturdy. Ask Ferocity02!
Old 05-18-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I shipped one last week in a heavy duty cardboard box. If I remember right, the block is only 22" x 19W x 14T. Not really that big. FedEx freight was only $80 from Oregon to Atlanta.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:33 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up making a crate out of 2x4's and a 4x8 sheet of wood. Total cost, $20 from Home Depot. From the looks of this contraption, it looks like you could drop it off a truck and it would survive. It's real close on the weight but Fedex took it. It's made it through 3 Fedex terminals so far.

Steve, don't be too pissed at me when you go to open it.

Ryan