Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Top 10 Ways to Get Your Questions Answered

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My Top 10 Ways to Get Your Questions Answered

I'm know some of this is covered in the FAQ section but I thought some of this information might be useful so I'll post it even if some of it is redundant. A few of the below I have been guilty of and they say experience is the best teacher so I hope this helps some of the newer folks. These are just my opinions from what I've seen here over the last 2+ years.

1.) Use the search (when it is working). Most questions asked have been asked an answered before and using the search can answer 90% of questions. The search is not working at the moment but we have an excellent system administrator in Brains and he will have it up in quick order so use it.

2.) Scan the right section before posting a new thread. Since the search is not working take a few minutes to look through the threads in the section you're looking for answers in before starting a new thread. Common problems are sometimes answered many times and going back a few hours or even a day or two can yield the answer you're looking for.

3.) I suggest only using TTT ("To The Top") once a day maximum Posting a new thread at 9 am during the week and then posting again in the same thread less than 1 day later is not a great idea. A lot of people work and can't read the board during the day so give folks a chance before saying "no one has this same problem". I've seen folks post at 9 am and at 11 am ask why they are not getting any responses. That will put a lot of members off and you might not get any response at all. If you don't get any responses after 3 days I'd try another approach to get your question responded to.

4.) The best times to start threads I have found from my experience here that you tend to get the best results posting between 4pm and 8pm Eastern time during the week. If you post early in the morning sometimes your thread will get buried by the end of the day and typically folks tend to only view the first page of threads.

5.) Avoid using a catchy thread title that has nothing to do with your question Catchy threads will get a lot of reads but if your question has nothing to do with the thread title don't expect to get many legitimate answers. Of course a catchy title will get lots of views and if it's related to your question, great but avoid deceiving folks by just a one liner with no bearing on your question.

6.) Be prepared for a few nasty negative responses While most of the members here are great we do have a few folks who take great pleasure in bringing other people down. While you can expect lots of folks who disagree with a mod or a comment I'm more refering to the folks who will post things like "Your gay" or "That sucks ***" etc. Again, these people are in the minority here but it does happen more frequently than in years past and if not prepared it can hurt and take you by surprise.

7.) Learn that your opinion is not always everyone's opinion Everyone has differing opinions. If you post pictures of your car be prepared for folks to say they don't like it. If I post "what do you think" I fully expect many people who will say "Not for me" etc.. Do not argue over opinions. No one wins and it can get ugly and then the thread will be gone.

8.) Post in the right section! If it's a question about wheels it belongs in the wheel section. Don't post nitrous questions in the appearance section. This is not rocket science and hopefully if you can read you will have a pretty good idea of which section to post in. There are some grey areas but for the most part the sections are pretty clear.

9.) Try to avoid posting threads like "Which is better the TA or Camaro" More arguments and hostile behavior happen in these types of threads. Refer to number 7 for clarification.

10.) Remember this is suppose to be fun! 99% or more of the people here just love their fbody's. Most are helpful and a lot of members are funny people. Don't take things so seriously and try and have fun. After all isn't that why we come here?
Old 05-18-2006, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your just trying to start a sticky lol good post.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99camarosupersport
your just trying to start a sticky lol good post.

You're right but I avoided saying that
Old 05-18-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

pure ingenuity(sp?). good post
Old 05-18-2006, 04:05 PM
Launching!

good post i wish i had this to read when i first started posting
Old 05-18-2006, 07:06 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Good to see stuff like this

One thing to add...

When asking for help with a problem, be specific about what your car is, in your post. Such as, '1999 Camaro Z28 M6'. Some things are different from one year to another, one f-body make/model to another, and certainly between manual and automatic. And some people here are posting about other cars, not any kind of f-body at all.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:18 PM
Tech Resident

Use the search button! I already made a post like this!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=ls1tech+guide

Kidding... It's always good to have a thread like this up.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

seeing how ppl seem to ignore the stickies, it won't really matter.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteKnightZ28
Use the search button! I already made a post like this!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=ls1tech+guide

Kidding... It's always good to have a thread like this up.
HEHEHE, I also didn't post at the "best" time according to me.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ACW
Good to see stuff like this

One thing to add...

When asking for help with a problem, be specific about what your car is, in your post. Such as, '1999 Camaro Z28 M6'. Some things are different from one year to another, one f-body make/model to another, and certainly between manual and automatic. And some people here are posting about other cars, not any kind of f-body at all.

Your right! That is a good one. Maybe it should be "Top 11"
Old 05-18-2006, 07:53 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
HEHEHE, I also didn't post at the "best" time according to me.
Thats ok, I comited the major sin of posting in the wrong forum yesterday> Youd think I'd do that when I was a n00b, not when I've got 500 posts
Old 05-18-2006, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sticky this ****.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:23 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no matter how many times this kind of info is stated, it amazes me how much it goes unread by the masses.

but, when all else fails at least i can close there threads
Old 05-18-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jrp
no matter how many times this kind of info is stated, it amazes me how much it goes unread by the masses.

but, when all else fails at least i can close there threads
AND misspell their AANNNDDD buy a mustang? JRP...say it aint so...
Old 05-18-2006, 11:19 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AND misspell their AANNNDDD buy a mustang? JRP...say it aint so...
AND im not even gonna edit your post .

AANDD, yup, officially blue oval owner
Old 05-18-2006, 11:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had an idea with another board I belong to. Nobody did anything there yet, but what do you think about this? When a noob signs up, before they can offically post, they HAVE to go through the "basic" stickied information that's posted. And the end, have a small quiz on the way things work here, just to make sure that they actually read the info they NEED to read. MOST people won't read stickies willingly, so you kinda have to force the issue. But it will benefit in the end of course. Just an idea.....
Old 05-18-2006, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

you forgot one....No more "which is better??? LT1 vs. LS1"
we all know the answer anyway.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jrp
AND im not even gonna edit your post .

AANDD, yup, officially blue oval owner
not going to edit my post? why did i misspell the word misspell haha. nothing against mustangs, but what happened to the Z? atleast you got a 5.0 model.....haha. no j/k...it looks good.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 89KARR
I had an idea with another board I belong to. Nobody did anything there yet, but what do you think about this? When a noob signs up, before they can offically post, they HAVE to go through the "basic" stickied information that's posted. And the end, have a small quiz on the way things work here, just to make sure that they actually read the info they NEED to read. MOST people won't read stickies willingly, so you kinda have to force the issue. But it will benefit in the end of course. Just an idea.....

I had a smilar idea last night after I read jrp's feelings about sticky's in another post but even if you force a newbie to a certain area and make them click that they have read everything all people will do is click yes when they have never read it at all. How many legal disclaimers have we actually read when installing new software? For me NONE. I just hit accept for the most part
Old 05-19-2006, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

not going to edit my post? why did i misspell the word misspell haha. nothing against mustangs, but what happened to the Z? atleast you got a 5.0 model.....haha. no j/k...it looks good.

I had a 94 GT. I actually ordered mine and was one of the first to get the new body style. I loved that car. Unfortunatly I had the air bag in my face when some jackass made a left turn from the right lane in front of me.

Insurance fixed the car as it was only 6 months old but it never was right again and sat in front of my house for 2+ years before I traded it in. Mine was a dark forrest green 5 speed stripped version and is probably to this day is my second favorite car. First is my present garage queen of course