Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random Tech or SLP Y-pipe ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random Tech or SLP Y-pipe ?

Is anyone running either of these y-pipes? I'm debating between the Random tech Y-pipe and the SLP Y-pipe. The Random Tech unit comes with the high flow cats and bolts up to the stock exhaust manifolds. The SLP unit bolts up to the stock cats. If you have either of them did you see any gains? How hard were they to install? I'm not planning on going with long tube headers because on the cost and labor to install them.
I have the SLP Center-mount cat back exhaust on my car also. Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-03-2003, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Default Re: Random Tech or SLP Y-pipe ?

I have the RT y-pipe and cats, but one thing to consider is that the RT y-pipe is aluminized steel, and the SLP y-pipe is stainless steel. Since I did a bunch of mods at the time I installed the RT stuff, I can't really vouch for gains, but it did seem as if the exhaust had a deeper tone. Basically, you can't go wrong either way. You'd probably gain a liitle more with the RT setup, but for a lot more money than keeping the stock cats and getting an SLP y-pipe. Another option, if possible, is to get the RT cats and bolt on an SLP y-pipe.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

My main concern is that the Random Tech cats will flow too much and trip an engine light.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Rimbaud-68:
<strong> My main concern is that the Random Tech cats will flow too much and trip an engine light. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Get o2 SIMMS to avoid this.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't waste your time and money. I put a SLP y-pipe on my car and I gained nothing at the track, except for a lil deeper exhaust note. Not worth the $200 by a longshot. The RT one is like 300-400 isn't it? Put the money towards headers. You mentioned you don't like headers for some reason, so put it towards something else instead. LS6 intake? ported TB? suspension stuff? You'll see a much larger gain. When I got FLPs I trashed that SLP POS. It hung at least 2" lower than the FLP y-pipe! It bolted up fine but it hangs very low.

Dope

Quick Reply: Random Tech or SLP Y-pipe ?