Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Faulty catalytic converter causing detonation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 12:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faulty catalytic converter causing detonation?

My car was pinging so we sprayed out the intake with Amsoil Power Foam and changed the plugs thinking it was pinging from oil contamination through the PCV. The service engine light came on a few days later and I just took it into the dealer and they replaced a bad catalytic converter.

The plug change seemed to help the pinging before I took it in to the dealer but could a converter on its way to going bad have contributed to the detonation? I'm thinking a combination of fouled plugs and a faulty converter was the cause of my pinging. Also, what are the chances that the Amsoil Power Foam caused the converter blockage/failure? Thanks...
Old 01-03-2003, 02:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Faulty catalytic converter causing detonation?

if a cat is bad then the o2 readings will be skewed and the pcm will try as best it can to compensate for it. usually leads to faulty air/fuel ratios and thus detonation.
the likelihood of the amsoil cleaner causing the failure is negligible. if nothing else it puddles up in the intake until the engine reaches operating temp which evaporates it as designed to do.

Quick Reply: Faulty catalytic converter causing detonation?