Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Qtp problem...need help please!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Qtp problem...need help please!!!!

i installed my Qtp headers this weekend and i'am having a problem with the passenger side header rubbing up against the k-member. I dont know what to do....i think i remember reading that people are having the same problem with there qtp's. Mine are race style. What can i do to get some clearance between the header and k-member so that they won't rub?
Old 05-18-2006, 10:56 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, this sucks. I haven't checked in on this forum for a couple months.
I had an ol' batch of the QTP HVMC's (made by Kooks- yes, that's right, Kooks) and they were the ultimate in LT Headers for their day IMO (not too long ago). I hope your problems aren't a universal trend. Would suck to see the brand lose its luster.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:57 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

BTW, notch the K-member (sounds like I'm giving old Pacesetter advice).
Old 05-18-2006, 10:58 PM
That's what she said...

Grinding it down some usually works. Posting a picture (or a few pictures) of where it's hitting would really help out.

You might just be able to loosen all the bolts holding it onto the head, then shove the header up out of the way, then tighten them back down.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like this is a trend with the new batch. I've seen and heard people have similar issues. Then I saw a set recently on a local car. Everytime he started the car you could hear them htting under the car. I was going to order a set next week because I wanted the HVMC's, but I'm on the fence now.

Kooks are nice, but I can't justify almost $900 for headers. I was actually looking at the Edelbrock Victor race headers as an alternative to the QTP's. At the same time... I'm asking myself - "Would I really see that much of a gain vs. my current Pacesetters?"
Old 05-23-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 86 IROC
Seems like this is a trend with the new batch. I've seen and heard people have similar issues. Then I saw a set recently on a local car. Everytime he started the car you could hear them htting under the car. I was going to order a set next week because I wanted the HVMC's, but I'm on the fence now.

Kooks are nice, but I can't justify almost $900 for headers. I was actually looking at the Edelbrock Victor race headers as an alternative to the QTP's. At the same time... I'm asking myself - "Would I really see that much of a gain vs. my current Pacesetters?"
Buy Kooks/QTP's or any stainless steel headers for longevity, not for performance over your current LTs.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Allergik2dyin
Buy Kooks/QTP's or any stainless steel headers for longevity, not for performance over your current LTs.
I just went with a completely different set up, and feel the high velocity merge collector, or a stepped header would help out. Several sources seem to concour with that. None of them are trying to sell me anything, just suggesting what would work better with what I've got.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:24 PM
Banned

I had to notch my K member as well for the QTP's.

Mine still sit on my steering rack and cause all vibration issues.

BUT MAN.. THE LONG TUBES AND TRUE DUALS WITH BULLET MUFFLERS REALLY OPENED MY CAR UP IN TERMS OF POWER!
Old 05-23-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

Sadly, I conceeded to grind my K-member. ALTHOUGH, Barry was willing to replace it, I couldn' t wait for the time I expected QTP to run another batch.

What I ended up doing was marking where I needed to trim, pulling the header, and getting a carbide bit for my Dremmel, and went to town. It wasn' t really that much. Admittedly, I did not expect, nor want, to do that for a set of $800 headers. I did not have this problem with the standard collector QTPs, but, there' s always something when you are modifying a car. But, it was my choice, and for now, I can live with it.

Last edited by radz282003; 05-24-2006 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 86 IROC
I just went with a completely different set up, and feel the high velocity merge collector, or a stepped header would help out. Several sources seem to concour with that. None of them are trying to sell me anything, just suggesting what would work better with what I've got.
Ok, well that's good. I was just making sure you knew you wouldn't be making any significant horsepower over your pacesetters. Good luck with it.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:52 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Buy HVMC LT's for performance gains over standard collectors (if you have that kind of money to throw around).
Old 05-24-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Addict

Dammit i'm on my way to order a set of QTP LTs with HVMC & honestly i want them so bad but after hearing these prob's lately especially long time of waiting to get them then having some fitment issues it's kinda sad thing & btw the good thing my buddy have them installed on his 98 Z perfectly & untouched either K-Member or the power steering .

Answers is needed

peace
Old 05-24-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

Well, every car is going to be different. Shorties are another animal. They are a lot smaller, and don' t run as long as the LTs do ( obviously ) therefore, small tollerance differences to wind up being problems. The QTPs out of my car may not have a problem in someone else' s car.

My point is, you should expect a wait for these, as they are popular. After the wait, just plan on a little modifying, so you are not suprised or upset when it' s necessary. Ultimately, there are a multitude of factors that could come into play, when adding these things. Bad motor mounts, bad body, crossmember twisted or moved, etc. When I called QTP, I played dumb, and they were helpful. I didn' t give and attitude, or get an attitude. I just didn' t want to wait to get another set, since my car is a DD, so I just did some grinding. Additionally, I have had a custom alignment, where my crossmember may have been moved, and that could have affected the header alignment, so I just conceeded to grind.

Anyways, I guess I am trying to say I believe in these headers. I think they performed what they said they would do. I have dyno sheets to show it. Even though my gains weren' t huge, for just a simple bolt-on car, they were significant. Especially since the prices have been lowered, I can' t see how someone could pass this deal up. The y-pipe is a different matter, but what do you want for a 3" y-pipe with a merge collector? Run duals if you don' t like it. Just understand every one of these cars are different and that' s how they are manufactured, and what would you expect for $20K?

I' m sure you will be happy with this purchase, all things considered.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:17 PM
Teching In

I have 2 issues with my set. One of my primary's was hitting the bellhousing keeping it from bolting up to the head, so motor mounts or frame condition had nothing to do with it. The next issue I had was on both sides one of the primary's were not welded all the way around causing an exhaust leak. Over priced if you ask me. [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] As you can see from the pic where I dented it, that it has plenty of room to be bent the other way.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

Ok, well that's good. I was just making sure you knew you wouldn't be making any significant horsepower over your pacesetters. Good luck with it.
That may be true on an SI car, but with all the parts I have just added... I think it has a lot of room to grow from a superior set of headers. Southie's car picked up nicely when swapping from SLP's to the old QTP's. I don't expect to pick up anymore than 20 at peak, but peak #'s don't excite me. I'm looking for that all important area under the curve.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Buy HVMC LT's for performance gains over standard collectors (if you have that kind of money to throw around).
Carlos, would you mind if I PM'd you and picked your brain a little? I don't feel like posting the exact details of my recent modfest just yet. But, I would like your impartial input.