Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Discount Tire out of Nittos??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Discount Tire out of Nittos??

I ordered a set of 305x35x18 Drag radials for my 99 SS. Everything was fine when i left the store. The next day i come home for lunch and they called and said there is a problem with the tires, so i call them up and the first guy said that hes not sure whats going on and that he will make some calls and get back to me later in the day. Well he never called back.

So i called the next morning and the guy i talked to then said theres a problem with Nitto and he doesnt know when and if he will be getting the tires in but he will call me back, Well guess what? He never called me back so i was a little pissed.

so i talked to the guy that posts on here i think his name is Luke, and he said they were backordered. I finally called again the other day and talked to the man that ordered the tires for me, and he said he talked to Nitto and that they will know whats going on at the beginning of next week.

I mean WTF, couldnt they see if they were able to get the tires or not, i mean i have no problem waiting for them, but at least give me an expected date to get them, since i already paid for them.
Sorry guys for the rant, im just kinda upset
Old 05-19-2006, 12:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default Nitto drag's

I apologize for the confusion on this. Nitto has been having problems keeping us updated on availability. I do have an alternative for you. The Nitto 555RII Road Race tire is available. It has the same rubber compound as the Drag radial and a reinforced sidewall. Being a 35 series tire, the sidewall would not be much more rigid than the Drag Radial and would provide simliar traction. I will PM you some more details. I hope we can get this cleared up for you.

Luke - Discount Tire Direct

Originally Posted by JacobK
I ordered a set of 305x35x18 Drag radials for my 99 SS. Everything was fine when i left the store. The next day i come home for lunch and they called and said there is a problem with the tires, so i call them up and the first guy said that hes not sure whats going on and that he will make some calls and get back to me later in the day. Well he never called back.

So i called the next morning and the guy i talked to then said theres a problem with Nitto and he doesnt know when and if he will be getting the tires in but he will call me back, Well guess what? He never called me back so i was a little pissed.

so i talked to the guy that posts on here i think his name is Luke, and he said they were backordered. I finally called again the other day and talked to the man that ordered the tires for me, and he said he talked to Nitto and that they will know whats going on at the beginning of next week.

I mean WTF, couldnt they see if they were able to get the tires or not, i mean i have no problem waiting for them, but at least give me an expected date to get them, since i already paid for them.
Sorry guys for the rant, im just kinda upset
Old 05-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

Default 305/35/18 Nitto

I had to go with the Nitto 555II after being told the 555DR wasnt available.. They are a little more money but.......
Old 05-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

Weird, i got two 315/35/17 Nitto 555R Extreme Drag Radials from discount tire direct about a month or two ago... i waited for about a month to receive them, but i got them...
Old 05-19-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Junkie

how much of a difference is there between the 555R and the 555RII? im goin to be ordering a set soon, and don't want to have to wait a month or 2
Old 05-19-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was just about to ask that too..How much of a difference between the 2? Also is the 555RII a good drag radial too.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The 2 tires are very similar. The sidewall of the Nitto Drag Radial is not reinforced like a normal tire to help give you better traction at a lower air pressure for drag racing. The Road Race tire does have a reinforced sidewall, but it does have the same rubber compound as the drag radial. The reinforced sidewall helps to eliminate body roll when cornering. The advantage of having a softer sidewall is more noticable when using a tire with a taller sidewall. The Drag Radial and Road Race tires will perform nearly the same when you are dealing with a 35 series tire.

I am in no way trying to push the Road Race tires, but they are a good alternative until Nitto can get caught up with production.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the help Luke..i think i will hold off until the Drag radials are available, cause i would rather have the drag radial. Maybe i can talk with my store and see if they can give me some special discount for making me wait so long.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

UPDATE..Well i talked with another Discount Tire store to maybe see if they could help me out a little better and they called and i guess the Nittos are on backorder, but the big question is, WHEN are they going to get them in? This store said it could take up to a year depending on how many orders they have and how many they need to fill. That kinda sucks, cause i kinda need new tires now, and i really dont wanna run the BFGs cause i hear there wet road conditions arent as good as the Nittos and they dont last as long. So now im completely lost and have no idea what im gonna do.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

I just got a set of Nitto 315/17/35 the other day but they said they had 4 sets available when I got them for Discount Tire Direct. I may have got the last set. I talked to Jegs before I called them and they said that they had a shipment coming in on June 16th. Just to let you all know.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya maybe i will call jegs and see what they say about the 305x35x18s
Old 05-23-2006, 06:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by boostedrs
I just got a set of Nitto 315/17/35 the other day but they said they had 4 sets available when I got them for Discount Tire Direct. I may have got the last set. I talked to Jegs before I called them and they said that they had a shipment coming in on June 16th. Just to let you all know.
They had 5 sets in the warehouse when they sent me my 2
Old 05-23-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

those are the 315s i guess no one has the 305's
Old 05-23-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

they have 17's i think you have 18's dont you? i had 2 at my store that i had to scrounge up from other stores, but theyre gone, like luke said we will have to wait on nitto, there has been a problem with stock availability due to closing of our DTdirect here in houston, sorry for the inconvenience guys
Old 05-23-2006, 03:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they have the 555RII's in, why dont they ship those to you at the price for the 555R's? If they arent in its not your fault. Just my opinion. I have absolutley nothing against discount tire, heck my tires were shipped yesterday and where at my doorstep when I got home tonight, although they were just street radials.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

im sure if you go to the store nearest you theyd be more than willing to help you out in that way 'Trust'...i know my store would....dtc and dtd are different thats why we both have different prices
Old 05-24-2006, 02:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

well i called and Jegs has the Drag radials in stock in my size so i might have to call Discount tire and cnacel my order..
Old 05-24-2006, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Got my 315/34/17 Nitto Drag radials in on yesterday! Thanks DTD!