Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My K&N filter has 40k miles on it....should I buy a recharge kit, or a paper filter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My K&N filter has 40k miles on it....should I buy a recharge kit, or a paper filter?

Yup, 40000 miles, and I have never cleaned the K&N..... I have been doing some reading and a lot of people seem to stay away from the K&N ones now because they let too much air go into the engine to justify the few ponies they gain you. Last year when I had my throttle body ported I had a good look at my MAF, and the wires in there were nasty gunked up with all kinds of oily ****. So....I figure, I can spend money on a recharge kit for the K&N, or just get a good paper filter, seems like a Fram or a AC Delco will do fine?

Being that my filter hasn't been cleaned in 40k miles, there is probably a good possibility that I lost some ponies on the dyno...what do you guys think?

Recharge kit, or paper filter, and if I go with the paper filter, which brand?

Manny
Old 05-19-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

If you recharge make sure that you don't overoil the filter. That seems to be the problem. I have a KN filter as well and havn't had any major problems. I do clean the maf every once in a while though.

The GM paper filter does the greatest job of filtering. Somewhere there is a link to the study. Check the search.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Banned

I would clean and recharge. Go light on the oil. You can do a very light pass, drive the car, and do another very light application.

You should also get a can of aeresol electrical contact cleaner (the same stuff you spray on computers) and spray down the maf elements.

You'd be suprised how much black residue will wash off of it even if it looks clean.

Reload, ready, FIRE that K&N!!!
Old 05-19-2006, 12:48 PM
10 Second Club

Old 05-19-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

40,000 WOW. Like said ubove clean and lightly oil. You can get the k/n oil in a spray can rather than a liquid, It works better for me when spraying it on than putting a stream down every ripple in the filter.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

just get a paper filter who needs the k&n anyway ive used both and thers no diffrence except i kno my motors is sucking in dirt
Old 05-19-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

all I have to say is very lighly oil the filter
Old 05-19-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Too much air into the intake??? Is that a problem

If you read up on K&N's they actually perform well with a little dirt on them. Has a funneling effect on the incoming air. Anyway, over oiling is the problem with the MAF wires. Just go easy on it like everyone said.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

i dont see the point of runnin a filter that doesnt keep the dirt out well for no gain in HP
Old 05-19-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not to say that I am lazy.....well, maybe the 40000 with ever cleaning the filter is a hint....but, the paper filter looks like a good idea to me? It will be cheaper and is less work, and filter better. I am **** about my engine ever since I put the cam and all that stuff in it. I am sure I have been losing power with that filter in there as long as it has been.

Now after thinking about it some more, it seems to make sense to keep the K&N, in a clean place, just in case, and try the paper filter first. If I don't feel much of a difference, then I'll just change those out every second oil change and won't have to worry about too much dirt in my engine. After all, the old girl ain't a spring chicken anymore, eventhough she only has 55k miles on her.

Thanks for the input guys....I did see that article when I did the search, so is the AC Delco the way to go?

Manny
Old 05-19-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

K&N is good for the track.....Paper is the way to go for a daily driver......difference between the 2 in hp, maybe 1-2 hp....just my .02
Old 05-19-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

i have a fram in my car. i agree if u wanna run the k&n just do it for the track only wont hurt nuttin there. and if u buy a fram go to walmart only 7 bucks compared to like 16 at pepboys type places
Old 05-19-2006, 02:53 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you clean it, place it on your a/c unit outside for a quick dry.

When you get ready to re-oil it, only spray it from the side that points at the ground when it's installed. The air coming through will pull it deep into the filter.

When K&N's come out of the box, they are drenched. It's not uncommon for people to wash them and re-oil so their **** doesn't look like the coast of Alaska after a dumbass tanker driver rammed it.