Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

chrome question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chrome question

What’s up guys I have a set of polished aluminum z06 rims and I wish I would have just spent the extra money and got chrome. The rims don’t look as shiny as they did when I first got them and I know I could polish them but even when I polish them they still don’t look as nice as chrome. I just wanted to know if any of you guys have got your aluminum wheels chromed and your experiences in doing this. Like how much was the cost and what did you guys think. Thanks in advance.

Sean
Old 05-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Teching In

It's usually 100-200 per wheel depending on where you get them done at... I looked into it, but just replaced my polished wheels with chrome ones.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Teching In

wow 200 a wheel is alot i was thinking if it was 100 i could do that. but i have some curb rash on a couple of the wheels will they fix that before they chrome them?
Old 05-21-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

100-200 $$/wheel sounds about right (but it will depend on how much initial polishing/prep work is necessary to get them ready for plating) - of course it would have been cheaper to get them chromed from the start - but many times that chrome is substandard as to what you can get from a GOOD plater that specializes in Show Chrome.

I know I personally would have no problems having my plater chrome my polished TTII's if I wanted - he is just as picky as me about the quality of his work (probably the reason I have spent $1000's with him over the years for my various cars).

A good plater would fix any imperfections such as curb rash without you having to ask - but if you decide to chrome - I would make sure you point out all the areas that you want fixed ahead of time. You must realize however, that depending on how bad the CR actually is - to get it polished out might require enough grinding/polishing that it will be hard to make that area look exactly like the rest of the rim lip - the plater should be able to tell you this ahead of time.

Also, go with a plater that does at LEAST a 3 step chrome process with polishing between each step (i.e. initial polish/prep, copper plate with polish after (nickel plate will only adhere to copper), nickel plate with polish after, and finally chrome (chrome is actually a clear plating so the condition of the polished nickel plated surface prior to chrome is VERY important as to the quality of the final chrome step).

My plater does 4-5 step plating process. He can also chrome plastic very well and gold plating. He is currently looking into doing Black Chrome Plating.

90% of any chrome plating cost is in the amount of initial hand polishing/prep work that is necessary on the part as that is the most labor intensive step (allthough due to the situation in Iraq the cost of Nickel has gone up from around $3/lb to over $10/lb - another factor in the chrome cost).

-Jay-
Old 05-22-2006, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
100-200 $$/wheel sounds about right (but it will depend on how much initial polishing/prep work is necessary to get them ready for plating) - of course it would have been cheaper to get them chromed from the start - but many times that chrome is substandard as to what you can get from a GOOD plater that specializes in Show Chrome.

I know I personally would have no problems having my plater chrome my polished TTII's if I wanted - he is just as picky as me about the quality of his work (probably the reason I have spent $1000's with him over the years for my various cars).

A good plater would fix any imperfections such as curb rash without you having to ask - but if you decide to chrome - I would make sure you point out all the areas that you want fixed ahead of time. You must realize however, that depending on how bad the CR actually is - to get it polished out might require enough grinding/polishing that it will be hard to make that area look exactly like the rest of the rim lip - the plater should be able to tell you this ahead of time.

Also, go with a plater that does at LEAST a 3 step chrome process with polishing between each step (i.e. initial polish/prep, copper plate with polish after (nickel plate will only adhere to copper), nickel plate with polish after, and finally chrome (chrome is actually a clear plating so the condition of the polished nickel plated surface prior to chrome is VERY important as to the quality of the final chrome step).

My plater does 4-5 step plating process. He can also chrome plastic very well and gold plating. He is currently looking into doing Black Chrome Plating.

90% of any chrome plating cost is in the amount of initial hand polishing/prep work that is necessary on the part as that is the most labor intensive step (allthough due to the situation in Iraq the cost of Nickel has gone up from around $3/lb to over $10/lb - another factor in the chrome cost).

-Jay-

who is this plater you speak of??

for future reference
Old 05-22-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Sent you a PM...
Old 05-25-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1QUIKWS6, does a polished rim have to be super shiny before the chroming process?
Or can it be dull, yet smooth?

Mine are dull and would require a lot of polishing, yet I would want to keep the costs down. So would it make sense for me (assuming they need to be shiny) to spend the time and polish them up before taking them to chrome shop?

My main concern is the chrome peeling off over time. Is there anything specific about the process or chemicals that would make it last longer before peeling?

With a polished lip, I can fix a bent lip on my rim. I've done it several times. If I bent a chrome lip, would the chrome likely peel due to the metal being bent? How could it be fixed? Would you just have to bent it straight and have it rechromed?

One other question. I plan to completely clean all the brake dust out of every nook and cranny. Does it make sense to have the back side polished and chromed just like the front? I really don't like the crappy quality chrome on the back side of almost all chrome rims. I figure dip the whole thing in there and have the whole rim shiny, not just the front.